MakeMKV drops non-empty audio tracks?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
archiveEverything

MakeMKV drops non-empty audio tracks?

Post by archiveEverything »

I have a DVD that seems to use the Blu-Ray strategy of using different titles to select alternate audio tracks in the same underlying video stream.

As a result, MakeMKV exports each title with only a single audio track, rather than all the audio tracks originally present in the video stream. Expanding the dropdown for each title also shows only a single audio track, so I presume MakeMKV is making its decision based on the title data, rather than on the stream.

Of course, I don't really want two separate, full-size MKVs. I'd much rather have a single MKV with both audio tracks in it.

Is there any way to export all of the audio tracks in an A/V stream when the title only lists one of them?
archiveEverything

Re: MakeMKV drops non-empty audio tracks?

By way of update, this loss of audio tracks also happens on 1.16.0.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

The MKVToolNix set of tools will probably let you mash the two audio tracks into a single .mkv file. It isn't a thing I've ever needed to do, so I'm just making an informed guess.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It comes down to how the disk is mastered - the only work around I have found for it is to rip both, and use MKVmerge to create a new MKV file with the combined audio and subtitle tracks.

I've only had to do it for BD releases, though.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
archiveEverything

Thanks for the response. It sounds this is just part of how MakeMKV views the world.

Converting a VOB (or m2ts) to mkv via ffmpeg preserves all the tracks in the underlying stream, so I wasn't sure if it was intentional behavior by MakeMKV.

I do wish MakeMKV would at least list all the audio tracks, and only select by default the tracks chosen/available by the title. As it stands now, I can't completely trust what MakeMKV shows me.