MakeMKV misses a title?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
archiveEverything

MakeMKV misses a title?

Post by archiveEverything »

I have a DVD that has a "stills gallery" special feature. It's the last title on the disc, with 50 chapters. But MakeMKV doesn't see it. (VLC and HandBrake both do.)

I'm not talking about titles skipped due to duration: I lowered that to 0 to make sure that wasn't the problem. This title doesn't show up in the log at all, even as fake.

If I open the disc file's manually, MakeMKV does list the last title, and I can select it through that interface. It then correctly displays it in the export window as 50 chapters and 6.4 MB, along with the segment map. Maybe that's the intended behavior thus far.

But then, when I export it, the resulting mkv is empty.

Why would that be? Is this a bug in 1.15.4?
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV misses a title?

Post by Woodstock »

More likely, the length of the title is smaller than your minimum title length. Slideshow titles have WEIRD times on them, in my experience.

If it didn't show up with zero for the time, it may be even weirder than the ones I've encountered.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
archiveEverything

archiveEverything wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:43 pm
I'm not talking about titles skipped due to duration: I lowered that to 0 to make sure that wasn't the problem. This title doesn't show up in the log at all, even as fake.
As I said at the outset, my minimum is zero, so unless it's reporting a negative duration, it's not that. For what it's worth, VLC lists it as 6m40s.

Any suggestions for how I might convert it losslessly to MKV?
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

I suggest using DVDshrink. The same problem came up for me a while ago:
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21043
archiveEverything

I just noticed in the FAQ that missing extras is "a somewhat common issue" and that opening the DVD manually is indeed the recommended solution.

So that leaves the remaining "bug" in MakeMKV: even when I open the disc manually and select the title, the exported MKV is empty. @Ezatoka, thank for the pointer to your previous encounter with this issue.