The New Statesman [2006] complete series

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
dillspooch

The New Statesman [2006] complete series

Post by dillspooch »

I've ripped all 4 discs of this boxset issued in 2006. When playing it back through Plex the image is displayed with large gray blocks that move around constantly obscuring the image behind it. To me it looks like a copy protection mechanism. Oddly, when I play the files back on the PC I used to rip the discs, they do play, although not that well, the image is grainy and playback is not smooth, and the sound isn't in sync sometimes. That was using VLC.

I've done a search but couldn't find anything similar, or a solution, other than playing my discs back through the Blu-Ray player, which is tedious!

Any suggestions? :?:
preserve

Re: The New Statesman [2006] complete series

Post by preserve »

Not sure what the Plex issue would be.

I’d recommend not using VLC (third question, and check out the two distortion links in that question as well).

If you didn’t see any errors during ripping, it shouldn’t be a rip issue.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
dillspooch

Post by dillspooch »

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for the late response, the notification went to junk mail.
The rips play back perfectly using MPV, but still don't play through Plex. I tried Plex Web this time, it plays the audio clearly but the video is mostly a solid green image with bits of distortion.
I'll rip one of the DVD's again and look for any messages in the log that might give some clues.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

dillspooch

Post by dillspooch »

Thanks for tip on transcoding. That appears to be the problem.
When I playback the New Statesmen on my 32" Samsung TV through the plex app, it's perfect, with 480i direct play and audio AC3 stereo direct play, however on my LG OLED55E6V-Z the audio is going through MP3 transcode, which bizarrely affects the video playback (the audio actually sounds ok). The same thing happens when playing the title back through Edge (Chromium version) except this time it's an AAC audio transcode. I'm not sure why it's not doing direct play as these are all on my local network using gigabit ethernet.
Using Plex for Windows for this title, playback is just frozen even though the server says it's direct play for both video and audio, though I think that player is not working well because it freezes with other titles too.
I've no idea what's going on.