Supernatural season 2 disk 3 error

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
balazamon0

Supernatural season 2 disk 3 error

Post by balazamon0 »

Hi I ripped season 1 without issue but now that we have season 2 the first two discs rip but the third won't even read.

Drive BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 1.04 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed. Change drive region or update drive firmware from http://tdb.rpc1.org. Errors likely to follow.
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 1.04' at offset '2048' *Numerous similar lines*
Failed to open disc

My initial search led me to believe that's a region lock issue but why would it only trip on disc 3? Does anyone have any other tips besides try another drive?
preserve

Re: Supernatural season 2 disk 3 error

Post by preserve »

Have you tried opening the disc more than once? Have you disabled any other programs (or Windows automatic actions) that may be trying to access the disc at the same time as MakeMKV?

I also find that an old DVD-only drive can have an easier time with DVDs than a newer Blu-ray drive, if that’s an option that you can try.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
balazamon0

Re: Supernatural season 2 disk 3 error

Post by balazamon0 »

Thanks for the suggestions, yeah I tried a few times(Even enabled debug mode to see if that would give me some more information but everything added to the log was just a series of codes it looked like). I tried again this morning and it failed to read, I just read and ripped disc 4 just fine, then put disc 3 back in and it works... :lol:

So I guess this was just gremlins.