Can't rip anything except the main feature from GvKG/GvM

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
KaijuWorldOrder

Can't rip anything except the main feature from GvKG/GvM

Post by KaijuWorldOrder »

I looked through the "read here first for rip errors" section and couldn't find anything that solved my specific issue, so if this is answered in there and I just didn't notice it, I sincerely apologize.

I have the old TriStar double-feature "flipper disc" of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla & Mothra: The Battle For Earth, and ripped both movies without issue. The disc also includes the original Japanese trailers for both movies, and I'd like to preserve those as well, but MakeMKV can't seem to detect them. Even after setting the minimum title length to 10 seconds, it still only reads the main film on each side. The log shows the following:

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS39 1.00' at offset '1048576'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS39 1.00' at offset '1048576'

Is it a problem with the disc itself, or am I doing something wrong?
preserve

Re: Can't rip anything except the main feature from GvKG/GvM

Post by preserve »

KaijuWorldOrder wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:49 pm
The disc also includes the original Japanese trailers for both movies, and I'd like to preserve those as well, but MakeMKV can't seem to detect them.
Having some DVD special features not show up in MakeMKV is a somewhat common issue.

I recommend checking out Manual DVD Mode and seeing if you're able to access and rip the trailers using that feature.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
KaijuWorldOrder

Post by KaijuWorldOrder »

preserve wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:26 am
KaijuWorldOrder wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:49 pm
The disc also includes the original Japanese trailers for both movies, and I'd like to preserve those as well, but MakeMKV can't seem to detect them.
Having some DVD special features not show up in MakeMKV is a somewhat common issue.

I recommend checking out Manual DVD Mode and seeing if you're able to access and rip the trailers using that feature.
Well, I tried it out, but made no progress at all. I still can't access anything other than the main feature; according to the program, any title other than 1 is an "invalid token", whatever that means. I know they are there on the disc, I've watched them hundreds of times, but nothing I try lets me access them. I'm at my wit's end here.

EDIT: I found another solution. Using a screen capture program that I forgot I had, I was able to record the trailers. Not as simple as I would have liked, but it got the job done.
preserve

Post by preserve »

I'm glad you were able to figure something out, certainly not ideal, but perhaps better than nothing.

With the errors you mentioned, it does seem there could be an issue with the disc.

Hopefully maybe someone else who has this disc can chime in here.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00