Unable to rip some episodes from Supernatural DVD

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
chibiaznflipboi

Unable to rip some episodes from Supernatural DVD

Post by chibiaznflipboi »

Hi, I am new to using MakeMKV. Please forgive me if I miss any information.

Basically, I was able to rip 3 episodes out of 4 from Supernatural Season 3 Disc 2. This Disc has episodes 4 - 7. I'm not able to get Season 3 Episode 6.

Here is the log:
MakeMKV v1.15.4 win(x64-release) started
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 1.02' at offset '1048576'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 1.02' at offset '1048576'
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=10F16E86E12A)
Using direct disc access mode
Title #1 was added (21 cell(s), 2:07:59)
Title #2 has length of 12 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #3 has length of 12 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #4 has length of 21 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #5 has length of 78 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #6 has length of 29 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #7 has length of 16 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8 was added (7 cell(s), 0:40:30)
Title #9 was added (7 cell(s), 0:40:04)
Title #10 was added (3 cell(s), 0:09:58)
Title #11 was added (7 cell(s), 0:40:06)
Title #12 was added (1 cell(s), 0:03:37)
Title #13 was added (1 cell(s), 0:03:37)
Title #14 was added (24 cell(s), 2:10:38)
Title 13 in VTS 1 is equal to title 12 and was skipped
The source file 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 1.02' is corrupt or invalid at offset 18432, attempting to work around
The source file 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 1.02' is corrupt or invalid at offset 18432, attempting to work around
The source file 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 1.02' is corrupt or invalid at offset 30720, attempting to work around
The source file 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 1.02' is corrupt or invalid at offset 28672, attempting to work around
The source file 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 1.02' is corrupt or invalid at offset 28672, attempting to work around
The source file 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 1.02' is corrupt or invalid at offset 12288, attempting to work around
The source file 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 1.02' is corrupt or invalid at offset 12288, attempting to work around
The source file 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 1.02' is corrupt or invalid at offset 22528, attempting to work around
The source file 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 1.02' is corrupt or invalid at offset 22528, attempting to work around
Operation successfully completed

I have the same issue with Season 4. I'm not able to rip Season 4 episodes 7 and 8.

Please advise and help how I can fix this issue. Thank you
preserve

Re: Unable to rip some episodes from Supernatural DVD

Post by preserve »

chibiaznflipboi wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:14 am
Basically, I was able to rip 3 episodes out of 4 from Supernatural Season 3 Disc 2. This Disc has episodes 4 - 7. I'm not able to get Season 3 Episode 6.
For the log, you've only shown the portion of MakeMKV opening the disc, not the actual ripping. Are you having an issue while ripping, or are you having an issue with finding the episodes listed before you rip?

If you're having issues ripping, seeing that part of the log would be helpful. I notice MakeMKV is already having read errors when working to open the disc, so that may certainly be an issue. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15055

If you're not finding the episodes on the disc, are you sure that they're actually supposed to be included on that disc, are not present on other discs of the set, and that the episode breakdowns aren't misprints? But again, read errors could also be contributing to this.

The last thing is that there are some long playlists (2+ hours) showing. The missing episode(s) may be included in those longer playlists. Manual DVD Mode may help rip the separate portions that you need, once you figure out which titles, cells, etc comprise the missing episodes: http://makemkv.com/manualdvd/
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
chibiaznflipboi

I'm having trouble finding the episodes on the disc. When I play the DVD, the episode is in there. I was able to run it through opening the dvd manually (thank you for that), but when I pick the "string" which I believe contains the episode, instead of providing me a full episode. It cuts it down to about 10% of the original show (approximately only 10 minutes of the 42 minutes total). It gives me this "corrupt or invalid" message:

preserve

Post by preserve »

Assuming that you did find the correct string for opening the episode in manual mode, it seems that you are running into a read error problem with your disc.

I'd suggest following the troubleshooting for read errors in the thread I linked in my first post. I've also found that using an old DVD-only drive can work better than using a Blu-ray drive, for example, when trying to read DVDs.

I'd also suggest posting the string information you're using for manual mode. Hopefully, another member who owns these releases can chime in.
chibiaznflipboi

So I followed your advice and used a DVD drive, and that was able to pull a longer copy of the episode (30 minutes of 42 minutes), but the actual ripping failed completely.

I have the error logs for it.

I appreciate all the help and knowledge im learning.

Thank you. I hope that I can get this episodes ripped.
preserve

Post by preserve »

If the disc is bad (if another member who has this set could verify that they were able to successfully rip it) and you really want the DVD version in particular, it might be worth buying another copy cheap on eBay. I've had to do that once or twice when I got around to ripping my old DVDs. You just have to watch out for bootlegs. This one having what looks like original stickers on the front is probably legit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143302780536

Otherwise you may want to look at picking up the Blu-ray release at some point.
HomeMediaGal

Post by HomeMediaGal »

I am in the same fix. No matter what I do, I can not rip all the episodes from Supernatural Blu-ray.

DVDs are easy. Just use Videolan VLC (free from ninite.com) to open and play each disc. Select each episode from the main menu and while the episode is play go to PLAYBACK>TITLE on the menu bar of VLC and it will show you the correct title number,