Baryshnikov Nutcracker (1977) DVD errors

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
kadmw

Baryshnikov Nutcracker (1977) DVD errors

Post by kadmw »

Hello! I'm trying to rip a DVD that I got for my wife for Christmas, which has hung up sometimes while playing on my PS4 (our only non-computer DVD player) so we thought we'd try digitizing first. Handbrake and other tools couldn't read the disk at all, and MakeMKV gives me the following errors:

Code: Select all

Using direct disc access mode
IFO file for VTS #1 is corrupt, VOB file must be scanned. This may take very long time, please be patient.
DEBUG: Code 476113 at *$!+[Is;Jdy =%]c4T:213135757
DEBUG: Code 0 at *$!+[Is;Jdy =%]c4T:121272997
DEBUG: Code 0 at *$!+[Is;Jdy =%]c4T:213142726
Title #1 (1:18:17) was skipped due to navigation error
Failed to open disc
Using direct disc access mode
IFO file for VTS #1 is corrupt, VOB file must be scanned. This may take very long time, please be patient.
DEBUG: Code 476113 at *$!+[Is;Jdy =%]c4T:213135757
DEBUG: Code 0 at *$!+[Is;Jdy =%]c4T:121272997
DEBUG: Code 0 at *$!+[Is;Jdy =%]c4T:213142726
Title #1 (1:18:17) was skipped due to navigation error
Failed to open disc
(It also gives me the MacTheRipper warning at the beginning, although this is not to my knowledge a home-burned disk. It's apparently from kultur.com)

We've cleaned the disk as carefully and thoroughly as we're able, and tried on multiple machines, but we still get some variation of the above errors. The issue also occurs when trying to read from an ISO generated with ddrescue

I'm assuming that since we did experience issues on the PS4 too, it's just a bad/low-quality disk and we wasted our money buying it, but since googling for one of those error codes didn't turn up any response at all I thought I'd open a new thread just in case there's some other retry mode we can set. The disk DOES start playing successfully on the playstation, but doesn't seem to work on any computer.

I tried manual mode with

Code: Select all

1:1
and got a different error, but I don't really know what I'm doing with manual mode...

Seems like a long shot, but thought I'd ask!
preserve

Re: Baryshnikov Nutcracker (1977) DVD errors

Post by preserve »

I'm not familiar with Kultur, so it could be a case of a bad and/or badly authored disc as you say. Did you purchase directly from Kultur, so you know it's an authentic product from them, or did you purchase from a reseller? If you purchased from a reseller, it's possible that it's a bootleg. When you put the disc in the drive with MakeMKV running, but before you open the disc, does MakeMKV list CSS/CPPM (near the top left of the MakeMKV window) as the disc's protection? (I'm assuming Kultur implements protection on their discs, whereas bootlegs will generally strip it.)

One other suggestion I can make is to try a DVD-only drive for reading the disc. When I encounter issues with a DVD on my Blu-ray drive, I use an old DVD drive and that generally solves the problem. Although the fact that you made an ISO (presumably successfully) would seem to rule that out.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00