Jerky PAL DVD rips

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
jonesthegas

Jerky PAL DVD rips

Post by jonesthegas »

Recently ripped a few old BBC DVDs. Ripping Yarns and A Peculiar Practice. Both would be video sources but also have problems with film sources too.

When I play back the MKV, the video is unwatchably jerky. However, when I put the DVDs into the disc player, the video is smooth. Must be something to do with the MKV files?

Can anyone help please? Are there settings I need to alter?

Martin Jones
preserve

Re: Jerky PAL DVD rips

Post by preserve »

I've ripped plenty of PAL DVDs without issue. There's no settings on the MakeMKV side that you need to alter. MakeMKV copies the video stream without changing it, it just packages it into the MKV container.

Are you able to play MKVs from non-PAL DVD rips smoothly? What playback software are you using?
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
jonesthegas

Post by jonesthegas »

Yes non PAL very smooth. In fact, I tried playing the MKVs via VLC on my pC and they were smooth. So I think the files are OK and must be something with the Zapitti player? Very puzzling.

In fact, I think this might be fairly recent as some of the files are old and I have played them before without issue.

Martin
krole

Post by krole »

The issue is with your player and some kind of refresh rate, frame rate, or FPS setting. PAL content is a different frame and refresh rate.

I had a similar issue with Kodi and I had to set the refresh rate to like 60hz and it worked fine after. So just look\play around with some kind of frame rate or FPS setting.

Just some links I found that may or may not be useful.

https://zappiti.uservoice.com/knowledge ... on-and-aut
https://zappiti.uservoice.com/knowledge ... -to-fix-it