Star Trek Voyager Season 5 repackaged

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
rickssg

Star Trek Voyager Season 5 repackaged

Post by rickssg »

Most of the discs in this set fail to copy without any error messages. This is the repackaged edition in a simple cardboard box and not the original release in the translucent plastic. The log for disc 1 is short:

MakeMKV v1.15.3 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Title #1 was added (10 cell(s), 0:45:53)
Title #2 was added (11 cell(s), 0:45:57)
Title #3 was added (9 cell(s), 0:45:55)
Title #4 was added (10 cell(s), 0:45:54)
Title #5 was added (1 cell(s), 0:00:22)
Operation successfully completed
Saving 4 titles into directory G:/Video/03-05-01
Failed to save title 0 to file G:/Video/03-05-01/title_t00.mkv
Failed to save title 1 to file G:/Video/03-05-01/title_t01.mkv
Failed to save title 2 to file G:/Video/03-05-01/title_t02.mkv
Failed to save title 3 to file G:/Video/03-05-01/title_t03.mkv
0 titles saved, 4 failed

This occurs over the course of only a few minutes, so it does not spend much time trying to create the output files before it gives up. I can play the discs on the same hardware that is failing to copy it. I know that there are differences between copying and playing, but I thought that might be useful information. Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide for help on this issue.
preserve

Re: Star Trek Voyager Season 5 repackaged

Post by preserve »

When you first put in the disc before opening it, what does MakeMKV say in the Protection field? Also, is it a single layer or a double layer disc?
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
rickssg

Post by rickssg »

The protection field is blank. I cannot find anything on the packaging regarding whether the disc is single or dual layer, but based on the file sizes reported by MakeMKV, I am going to guess single-layer.
preserve

Post by preserve »

rickssg wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:52 pm
The protection field is blank. I cannot find anything on the packaging regarding whether the disc is single or dual layer, but based on the file sizes reported by MakeMKV, I am going to guess single-layer.
On the same initial MakeMKV screen where "Protection" is on the left side, on the right side you will see "Disc Information" and under that, "Number of layers".

You've got a bootleg copy. Official discs have the standard CSS/CPPM protection, and they're dual layer.
rickssg

Post by rickssg »

So MakeMKV does say that it's single-layer. That is disappointing and surprising to learn that it is a bootleg copy. The box and the discs look completely legit, and they completely fooled me.

Thanks for your help and the information about detecting bootlegs. Now I am going to try to find a legit copy for a reasonable price.
preserve

Post by preserve »

rickssg wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:40 am
The box and the discs look completely legit, and they completely fooled me.
Bootlegs can be really well done these days. You may be interested to read this as well:

http://blog.trekcore.com/2017/04/buyers ... -hit-ebay/