HD DVD with AACS v4

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
project alice

HD DVD with AACS v4

Post by project alice »

Hi,
I'm trying to rip my HD-DVDs I still have laying around. Some of them work, but I've just got to one that won't. I get multiple lines of this:

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..00200740100720..0B8FB5D61651689BE15D34D7086AFC179DD to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
The other HD-DVDs that worked were all AACS v1. This one says it's AACS v4.
I'm using MakeMKV 1.15 on Windows.
MetalDave

Re: HD DVD with AACS v4

Post by MetalDave »

Seems like a good time to pick up a project like that. I'm going through my box of HD DVD discs as well.

You're not decrypting the films appropriately. You can manually add keys to MakeMKV to get these things to work. You can, probably, figure out things from the following posts:
I put a file called KEYSDB_HD.cfg in my MakeMKV data directory, updated with any missing keys, and I was decrypting and ripping. The June 2009 copy was missing a couple I needed, but I was able to pick them up.

Happy hunting!
Support MakeMKV - Buy a license!
(Seriously, you use this thing enough; A lifetime license is well worth it.)

Thank you to all of my fellow supporters!
planet1

Great addition (KEYDB_HD.cfg) for HD DVD decryption

Post by planet1 »

MetalDave wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:34 am
You can manually add keys to MakeMKV to get these things to work
http://makemkv.com/faq/item/12/category/8

I put a file called KEYSDB_HD.cfg in my MakeMKV data directory, updated with any missing keys, and I was decrypting and ripping.
Happy hunting!
Thank you :D , @MetalDave for the hint - this method really saves some time over DumpHD -> mkvtoolnix, although certain fine-tuning e.g. pulldown removal or audio transcoding remains. The FAQ should be updated IMHO.

@Mikeadmin, is there any chance libMMBD could be persuaded to also use a "KEYDB_HD.cfg" an thus enable playback for HD DVDs?
MetalDave

Re: Great addition (KEYDB_HD.cfg) for HD DVD decryption

Post by MetalDave »

planet1 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:53 pm
@Mikeadmin, is there any chance libMMBD could be persuaded to also use a "KEYDB_HD.cfg" an thus enable playback for HD DVDs?
That might be a worthwhile feature request. Perhaps start a thread in the "General MakeMKV discussion" forum?

As a follow-up to my own HD-DVD ripping endeavors: I had great success with the Java applet of DumpHD doing my own key discovery. Worthwhile doing in a VM or another "simple" machine on which you don't mind running Java Runtime. I also had some discs that wouldn't "crack" no matter what I did, but it was a very, very small number compared to the rest of the collection.
Support MakeMKV - Buy a license!
(Seriously, you use this thing enough; A lifetime license is well worth it.)

Thank you to all of my fellow supporters!
Baettel

Post by Baettel »

MetalDave wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:34 am
Seems like a good time to pick up a project like that. I'm going through my box of HD DVD discs as well.

You're not decrypting the films appropriately. You can manually add keys to MakeMKV to get these things to work. You can, probably, figure out things from the following posts:
I put a file called KEYSDB_HD.cfg in my MakeMKV data directory, updated with any missing keys, and I was decrypting and ripping. The June 2009 copy was missing a couple I needed, but I was able to pick them up.

Happy hunting!
The FAQ link doesn't seem to go anywhere? Can someone point me to what it contained?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

FAQ links on makemkv.com have been broken for a while. The owner has been working on other things, it seems.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Sunoo

Post by Sunoo »

Baettel wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:39 pm
The FAQ link doesn't seem to go anywhere? Can someone point me to what it contained?
https://web.archive.org/web/20211207020 ... category/8