Issue Ripping Babylon 4 S1 Disc 4

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
freedom4556

Issue Ripping Babylon 4 S1 Disc 4

Post by freedom4556 »

I'm having trouble ripping one of the Babylon 5 discs in my dad's old DVD set. When I attempt to rip disc 4 I get this in the log:

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.14.7 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Using LibreDrive mode (v05 id=0FA242DD4D0B)
Error 'Internal error - Input parameter is incorrect (53)' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB' at offset '0'
Error 'Internal error - Input parameter is incorrect (53)' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB' at offset '0'
Error 'Internal error - Input parameter is incorrect (53)' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB' at offset '0'
Error 'Internal error - Input parameter is incorrect (53)' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB' at offset '0'
Error 'Internal error - Input parameter is incorrect (53)' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB' at offset '0'
Error 'Internal error - Input parameter is incorrect (53)' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB' at offset '0'
Title #1 was added (6 cell(s), 0:43:38)
Title #2 was added (5 cell(s), 0:40:06)
Title #4 was added (11 cell(s), 1:23:44)
Title #4 in broken titleset was skipped
Title #5 in broken titleset was skipped
Title #6 in broken titleset was skipped
Title #7 in broken titleset was skipped
Title #8 in broken titleset was skipped
Title #9 in broken titleset was skipped
Title #10 in broken titleset was skipped
Title #11 in broken titleset was skipped
Title #12 in broken titleset was skipped
Title #13 in broken titleset was skipped
Operation successfully completed
Then it only creates mkvs that contain 2 of the 4 episodes that should be on the disc.

Granted, this disc has a messed up file system for sure, as neither my PS3 nor PS4 will play it at all. I have cleaned the disc, and it isn't super scratched up or anything.
My guess is that the missing episodes are somewhere in those "Internal Error" VOB files.

Can anybody help with this?
Woodstock

Re: Issue Ripping Babylon 4 S1 Disc 4

Post by Woodstock »

Best bet if you've cleaned it is if you have someone local that has, and knows how to operate, a disk resurfacing machine.

Prior to that, however, you can try my old stand-by... cleaning with Pledge furniture polish. It is a water-soluble wax that can fill minor surface scratches. Spray it on, rub it in with a clean finger in a circular motion, then wipe it dry with a clean, soft cloth. Try ripping it again.

This isn't something you should do on a regular basis, though, unless you also want to clean your drive's laser assembly...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
freedom4556

Post by freedom4556 »

There is a local used games shop that has a disc resurfacer which they let people use for a fee. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes.

Your Pledge idea sounds terrifying honestly. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. :shock:
Eagle75799

Post by Eagle75799 »

I've had the same issue with Babylon 5, and I've tried 2 different DVDs that fail in the same way.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If they both failed at the same location, that would be a mastering error. However, the B5 disks do not seem to have a "generic" (present in all copies) mastering error. None of mine did.

If the location is in different places on the disks, it's not a "generic" issue.

If these are "new old stock" disks, you might be experiencing the "packaging haze" issue; a chemical film that transfers to the disks over time from the packaging. I recently bought a BD that was packaged in 2013, and it would NOT read (wouldn't even load) in any of my drives until I cleaned it. Looked clean and shiny... but not quite a mirror. After cleaning, it looked like a mirror, and would load just fine, and ripped without error.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
RobL216

Post by RobL216 »

This is an old thread I know but I have just started ripping by Babylon 5 full box set.

Started well but have come across certain disks that are missing episodes or are just no recognised at all.

Wondering if this is specific to the Babylon set of DVD's as not seen this before.

I did try capturing an episode from my old VHS collection but the quality is pretty poor to say the least.

Pity there is no sort of episode RIP exchange anywhere. :D
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

Honestly, its a waste and a terrible experience to try and rip Babylon 5 off of DVD. It's not a good watching experience. The best experience these days is to use the HBO Max / Amazon streaming versions.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I was able to successfully rip all of B5 from DVD… and then HBO Max started airing remastered versions. The remasters are better by far than the old DVD version.

https://www.engadget.com/babylon-5-rema ... 58907.html

thetoad is right, the streaming version is much better. Spending a lot of time with the old DVDs probably isn't worth it.