can't open Luther Series 5

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
dmitche3

can't open Luther Series 5

Post by dmitche3 »

I'm unable to open the DVDs Luther Series 5. Both discs attempt to "Open DVD" but hang up as shown here, after which I allow it to run for 10 minutes or so without any further progress. I've tried two different DVD devices, one with USA region(which is the DVDs proper region) the other with UK region.

Addendum: I can play the disc using VLC without an issue.

MakeMKV v1.14.7 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\dmitc/MakeMKV_log.txt
Using direct disc access mode
Cells 16-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #2 was added (14 cell(s), 1:58:57)
Cells 9-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #3 was added (7 cell(s), 1:00:25)
Cells 9-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #4 was added (7 cell(s), 0:58:32)
Title #5 has length of 20 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #6 has length of 33 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #7 has length of 33 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8 was added (1 cell(s), 0:08:33)
Title #9 was added (1 cell(s), 0:06:47)

I've tried the usual cleaning but since it is brand new I doubted it was that.

Hopefully I have attached the proper log file.

Thank you.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(2.75 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
Woodstock

Re: can't open Luther Series 5

Post by Woodstock »

This is one that Mike will have to look at; the debug codes at the end are helpful only if you have the magic decoder ring, and Mike is the only one that has it.

To speed things up, I'd suggest gathering the things listed in the FAQ link below, and email them to support@makemkv.com to get Mike's attention faster. And yes, that was the correct log.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dmitche3

Post by dmitche3 »

Thanks for the response. I have managed to rip the DVD using Handbrake (corrected this as I miswrote about using VLC) without issues.
I've sent the IFOs for Disc 1. I'd better send disc 2 now as I'm not sure which one the log file is for. LOL. Thanks. Good luck.

BTW, since I DO have too much time on my hands I did the noob act of trying older versions of MakeMKV with the same results, versions 1.12.? and 1.14.2.
Lost Dingo

Post by Lost Dingo »

Was this ever solved? I am currently having the same issue, and have let it run for about an hour now.
Lost Dingo

Post by Lost Dingo »

I should be more specific I suppose.

I tried both discs of Luther Season 5. Both of them get as far as to list the titles on the disc, but when it gets to the part where it scans the CSS Sectors, it gets stuck. I left it to run on the first disc assuming it would eventually hit enough CSS Sectors it would continue, however, as you can see in the attached photo, after almost four hours it had scanned through 12,520 CSS Sectors and as far as I know had no signs of finishing. I stopped the program at that point. Like the poster above, I was successful in ripping the discs to an MKV file using Handbrake, and I am able to play those files without issue. I would rather use MakeMKV though ;)!
Luther Season 5 Attempt (Disc One).png
Luther Season 5 Attempt (Disc One).png (74.33 KiB) Viewed 5683 times
Beorn

Post by Beorn »

experiencing exact same thing.