DVDFab/MacTheRipper Error

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
glonch

DVDFab/MacTheRipper Error

Post by glonch »

Greetings,

Is there a way to suppress (via settings) the error?:

"It appears that you are opening the disc processed by DvdFab/MacTheRipper which is known to produce damaged VOB files. Errors may follow - please use original disc instead."

I just went through a 33 disc collection (store bought) and the error came up on every disc. I know this is by design, but would be nice to have a checkbox to suppress.

Thanks!
MartyMcNuts

Re: DVDFab/MacTheRipper Error

Post by MartyMcNuts »

glonch wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:50 pm
Greetings,

Is there a way to suppress (via settings) the error?:

"It appears that you are opening the disc processed by DvdFab/MacTheRipper which is known to produce damaged VOB files. Errors may follow - please use original disc instead."

I just went through a 33 disc collection (store bought) and the error came up on every disc. I know this is by design, but would be nice to have a checkbox to suppress.

Thanks!
This forum is for MakeMKV software. ForDVDFab, please ask at the DVDFAB forum.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
glonch

Post by glonch »

I’m confused. This error (or notice if you will) is in MakeMKV...

Any way to suppress the notice...
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

glonch wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:29 am
I’m confused. This error (or notice if you will) is in MakeMKV...

Any way to suppress the notice...
Apologies. I thought you were talking about using DVDFab on your DVD's, but I see you've already ripped them with DVDFab. I don't believe you can stop that notice.

If you used DVDFab to rip them, couldn't you use it to make your MKV file?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
glonch

Post by glonch »

I’m not ripping them with anything other than MakeMKV...

The DVDs that I have are store bought. When I put them in the drive and MakeMKV opens it, the notice comes up.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, but the subject doesn't really imply that.

There are some disks that were mastered with characteristics that look like they were ripped by a different ripper, then written back to an optical disk. Doing that can cause ripping errors, hence the warning.

Interestingly, I have not seen this warning with disks that have a high probability of being pirated - a Malaysian release of a series on a single DVD, which was later released in the US on a 3-disk set - but I have seen this with SOME seasons of the ABC series Castle.

No, there is no way to suppress the error that I've seen, and I had him investigate why Castle tripped the warning.

Was the series you had an issue with also produced by ABC?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
glonch

Post by glonch »

Apologies on the topic confusion.

It is the TV series The Jefferson’s distributed by Shout Factory.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/th ... ct_id=4090
SingleLayerDVD

Post by SingleLayerDVD »

I had the same issue with the Transformers Japanese collection also by shout factory. If you know of that release there are 10 episodes per single layer dvd and the video quality looks very bootleg. When I got that error I thought for sure that that settled it. It was a bootleg. But I don't think it is. I think it is just a very poor quality product with poor dvd replication methods.
Verser

Post by Verser »

Sorry for reviving an old post but I had the same error and stumbled on a solution. and since this thread is the 2nd item that comes up in google search I feel it will help more people by posting here as apposed to making a new thread.

1. if you get this error leave MKV open and launch LVC player.
2. play the movie for a few seconds and pause.
3. return to MKV and attempt to open it again.

for me it worked with "Hellraiser Judgment"
willavery

Post by willavery »

I had this issue with (what I thought was) a legitimate copy of the complete Poirot series. The box was high quality printing, high quality materials, none of that clearly xeroxed stuff. But eventually I noticed enough small errors that it was clear I'd bought a bootleg.

MakeMKV had no trouble ripping the files, and they were good quality, so it didn't matter in the end. But it was annoying to get this warning for all 33 discs! Be careful of eBay, no matter how legit it seems.
volswagn

Post by volswagn »

Thanks everyone for the tips here. I bought a set of All In The Family complete series on DVD and got this warning message when I went to archive them for my Plex server. It appears this set is just a VERY GOOD fake. Even included a booklet. The Shout Factory site says they burn their episodes on dual-layer DVD's with region lock, but these are all singles with no region. Guess they're having a real issue with these releases.
timmo

Post by timmo »

I have the same complete Poirot series doing this as well, and if it's a fake - wow, what an unbelievable job with the packaging, booklet, cases, etc. I find it hard to believe it's a bootleg, but maybe it is and they did it out of pure love for Poirot.

Hats off to @Verser for the workaround using VLC - worked like a charm. Thank you!
jadesse1

Post by jadesse1 »

I ran into this with the Transformers 5 disk movie pack. Only the first two movies had extra contant beside the movie which I have never seen before.
Jim1138

Post by Jim1138 »

I have the 33 disc Poirot series, purchased from Amazon. There is almost zero chance it is bootleg. It does say on the box it is remastered. But the stated purpose of the remastering is to put the episodes back in broadcast order.

I can’t believe Amazon could sell these without attracting the attention of the rightful owners of the property.

Edit to add:

The TV series was produced over a span of 25 years, and had more than one company involved. It is possible that making a complete set involved acquiring rights from several owners.
dmitche3

Post by dmitche3 »

Jim1138 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:56 am
I have the 33 disc Poirot series, purchased from Amazon. There is almost zero chance it is bootleg. It does say on the box it is remastered. But the stated purpose of the remastering is to put the episodes back in broadcast order.

I can’t believe Amazon could sell these without attracting the attention of the rightful owners of the property.
Hmm, You can't believe that Amazon would sell you fake products... Welcome to Amazon.