National Treasure (2004)

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Vogel

National Treasure (2004)

Post by Vogel »

Hi there,
I just ripped the DVD of National Treasure (I live in Germany so it is the German DVD but it also contains the English language files) and noticed that it has 2 identical video tracks. They are exactly same file size, same resolution, same aspect ratio and also same fps. I visually tried to find differences, but there is no translated or changed text, no different ending, the credits are not changed - nothing!

I now generated CRC hashes for the files to see if they are 100% identical and it seems that they are NOT. I get 2 different CRC values for them. also different MD5, SHA1 and it tells me the files have different read speeds (the first listed track on the dvd has 96,07 MB/s, the second one has 143,65 MB/s).

Can someone tell me what the second file is there for? I can use any of the files just fine I guess but not knowing really triggers me and it won't let me sleep. PLEASE, if you know anything or have an idea: TELL ME.

Thanks a lot for any help!
Woodstock

Re: National Treasure (2004)

Post by Woodstock »

Disney release. Check the opening titles and credits; they'll be in different languages.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Vogel

Post by Vogel »

I checked that. Title says "National Treasure" in both files, not subtitle or 2nd title afterwards. The credits seem also identical. I fast forwarded through them and tried to find "localization" or something like that. I also compared the music list in both, those are also identical. Anything specific I should check in the credits?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Were the two play lists numbered 800 and 801? When you highlight each title in the left hand window of MakeMKV, do the segment maps in the Info window show a difference, usually of 2 segments?

Either way, they are virtually the same, except for some minor localization.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Vogel

Post by Vogel »

they had different segment maps. im ripping something else right now, i could check the exact number later if you want.

i believe you when you say it's minor localization but i can't find it. every text in the video, no matter if shot in camera or overlay - the same in both files. it is really weird and I'm even thinking if it is so the dvd lasts longer in case one of the files is too scratched it will automatically switch to the other. sounds like a good idea but i never heard about something like that..
BlissBison

Post by BlissBison »

Title 1 is the regular feature film and Title 3 is the hidden Trivia Track version. Title 3 Chapter 3 beginning shows an example of the trivia tidbit on the screen.