ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
dmcentee

ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR

Post by dmcentee »

Hello

I am testing the MKV software and I am encountering the following error.

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading ECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION'

I have copied the DVD in question using another software tool without problems, so I believe that my disc, my player, and my computer are all working well

I don't know what this error is telling me, or more importantly, what the corrective action might be.

Any help would be appreciated
Woodstock

Re: ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR

Post by Woodstock »

Generally speaking, the error you're getting is caused by an error in reading the directory portion of the disk. MakeMKV can't get the information it needs to create an access key for the disk, and the read attempt gives the "illegal request".

The vast majority of the time, it is because there is a previous read error before the illegal request error, and that error is caused by a dirty or scratched disk.

There are a small percentage of times when the cause is not running MakeMKV with administrator privileges, and the operating system prevents it from talking directly to the drive, but that's not that often.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ssanford11@su.edu

Post by ssanford11@su.edu »

Curious... I'm seeing this error repeated dozens of times when I try to read a new DVD, as well as several "...has RPC protection that can not be bypassed..." interspersed, ending with "Failed to open disc". The weird thing is that if I click on the disc to open it again, it works fine!

This is a new problem with the latest beta version of MakeMKV.

I'm also experiencing a new problem where MakeMKV doesn't even recognize the disc when I insert it. It spins for a while, then reports "Disc can't be opened" and greys out the DVD player box. All I have to do is eject and re-insert the disc and everything is fine.

Apple OSX 10.12.3, MacBookPro (2015) with external usb DVD drive.

Thanks for listening... Steve
jmanjeep

Post by jmanjeep »

I just created an account to say this:

THANKS!!

This thread helped. I can confirm on the latest Beta version that the issue I was having with this "SCSI Illegal " error was because I did not run as an admin in windows even though my account is supposedly an admin.

Thank you again!
CaribbeanBlues

Post by CaribbeanBlues »

I also want to thank the member who posted that reply. Though I was logged in as the administrator on my machine, "Run as administrator" did the trick. Thanks!
Saimurai

Post by Saimurai »

Sorry, how do you "run as administrator"?

-MacOs 10.12.6
mav2k

Post by mav2k »

Hi all, I have just experienced this error message for the first time today.

I have two different dvd / bluray drives, and both were / are now giving this error on a DVD disc I was trying to read in.

When I use imgburn to image the dvd disc, it works fine without errors, so it is some sort of software issue, the disc itself is new and without any marks or scratches.

However, after the error, if you click the scan button as normal, everything works without any problems.

It seems to be with certain dvds this error occurs, but with most dvds I have no issues or error messages, maybe some sort of unknown or rare copy protection, but like I say it still rips fine after the message(s).

The DVD I had the error message with was 'Minder - Series 7' both dvd discs, it is a tv series.

Hope this helps.

* Windows 10 Pro - Internal Lite-on DVD Writer/Reader and Pioneer Blu-ray Burner / DVD Burner / Reader
KYThrill

Post by KYThrill »

I am encountering this same error on v1.14.4. I am also seeing something not yet described. I have two drives, one Libredrive and one not (both LG drives). Not running as admin, I get this error on both drives.

When I run as admin, the Libredrive doesn't give me the Scrambled Sector. The other drive still gives me the error, even as admin. However, that isn't helping me read any addition content (even with errors, Make MKV lists titles).

Further, what appears to be happening when this occurs, is that any content on the 2nd layer of a dual layer disc, is not being read. Disc 1 & Disc 2 of Teen Titans Season 4 both exhibit this behavior. They are dual layer discs. I can successfully copy all the episodes off one layer, but MakeMKV doesn't even see the 2nd layer.

May not be a unique problem to MakeMKV though, because when I play these discs through Cyberlink media player, the menu has all episodes, but it will not play any of the episodes that MakeMKV can't read.

I don't even own a standalone DVD player, but I am going to try and find one to test the discs on to see if those read it. Seems more like it is something were the drives just can't read the 2nd layer of these discs for some reason.
mkv508

Post by mkv508 »

This solution (run Makemkv as administrator) helped me as well.
I'm wondering if Makemkv the default to run as administrator with option to refuse and run as non-privileged user?
Triggs

Post by Triggs »

Hi All

I am having the same problem with EVERY DVD that I try.

I have made a quick video to show what I'm experiencing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH0lE3G ... e=youtu.be

I am not techy in the slightest, so am I missing something fundamental here?

All help greatly appreciated!

Triggs
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

What happened after you clicked the big button to have MakeMKV start reading the disk? You stopped after Windows tried.
Triggs

Post by Triggs »

Thank you, never occurred to me that the display was a button. Feel like a right plank.

Hopefully Blu-rays will be straight forward also
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Blame the Apple-initiated trend towards "flat" icons. It used to be that the icon used a "raised edge" so that it looked like a big button.
MGoSeth

Post by MGoSeth »

Okay I got this working. The most recent version of MakeMKV (1.14.7) has a key that expired at the end of February 2020. The workaround for this is to set your system clock back to a date before the expiration (e.g. December 25, 2019).

Once you've done that you need to run the program as an administrator. From there you can put in your registration key (Help-->Register) and you should be good to go.
tfunk002

Post by tfunk002 »

I just got that error today