Error with Urusei Yatsura DVDs

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
carlalex

Error with Urusei Yatsura DVDs

Post by carlalex » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:09 pm

First, Thanks for a wonderful product. I love it!

I have a set of DVD discs where the ripping of nearly every title fails consistently with the message "LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input".

I have no reason to believe this is a physical problem with the discs or my drive. The discs in question fail when using either .iso files of the DVD, or physical media. The discs and ISOs in question both play just fine in VLC or physical player.

I primarily work on Linux, but I have also encountered this problem when I try to use MakeMKV on a Mac with the same ISO files.

By way of background, this series was released on 50 DVDs (10 sets of 5), and this problem exists only for one set set of 5, and for all discs in this set. I would not be surprised if something Animeigo did when authoring this particular chunk of 5 discs is causing discs 26-30 (and only these discs) to fail. Even if the bug is in the mastering, other players seem to cope with the problem.

If you need any other information or images, please let me know.

I've attached the trace file from MakeMKV for a problem disc.

Thanks.

--- Carl
Attachments
MakeMKV-UY-Problem.tar.gz
Trace from failed MakeMKV of DVD.
(667.31 KiB) Downloaded 455 times

carlalex

Re: Error with Urusei Yatsura DVDs

Post by carlalex » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:50 pm

1.7.8 didn't address my issues.

But, The procedure outlined at http://aperiodic.net/phil/archives/Geek ... o-mkv.html serves as a workable (if more tedious) alternative.

--- Carl

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:11 pm

There probably aren't a lot of people with access to these DVDs. When I went to buy them, I found the cheapest full set was $1200, or "just" $700 used.

carlalex

Post by carlalex » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Yup. Not an easy find at this point. Animeigo's license has expired as far as I know. out of print and nearly 25 years old, and probably not that many US sets were made to begin with.

I've worked around my problems; it's more an academic interest in MakeMKV's error handling at this point.

--- Carl

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:53 pm

I just got DVD 28 in this series (I have all the movies, the OVAs, 1 - 25, 31, 32, 37, 40 already, none of which causes problems) and can say that 1.7.9 for Mac can't do it either.

Strange thing is that this is a Zone 1 DVD, but it's only when I put it in a Zone 2 player that MakeMKV can even read the title information.
(Tried using 'Open source(title specific)' in Handbrake with the DVD in either a Zone 1 or 2 player, which would give me correct length of track and soundtrack/subtitle info, but would crash seconds after starting conversion)

VLC 2.0.1 plays the DVD menu, but very distorted.(choppy sound, more artifacts than proper video)
The OS X DVD-player app, though, plays it without problems.

Also, the DVD is identified as UY_VOL_27 in the Finder.

Instead of going the Linux Commandline path, I'll probably hook my Elgato EyeTV up to my standalone DVD-player and capture the output.
Mac Mini, 2005 with superdrive, 2GB RAM, 80GB SSD, Core2Duo 2.16GHz CPU...
2 x LG USB DVD-drives and 'old spiteful' an IDE-based DVD-reader from a desktop connected to the internals of an old FW-HDD.
Writes Sci-fi:
http://www.planetfurry.com/~anthony/

carlalex

Post by carlalex » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:54 am

Should work, but I would expect subject to re-sampling issues.

--- Carl

mike admin

Post by mike admin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:55 am

This is a mastering error, the workaround will be posted shortly. However if you encounter such error for every disc, please send the full log file for every title that fails. If a single disc has 5 titles that fail then I have to ask you for 5 full log files. There is no need to send IFO files.

Thanks!