First attempt to rip a DVD to Disk - failure!

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
tobermoryboy

First attempt to rip a DVD to Disk - failure!

Post by tobermoryboy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:10 pm

Just downloaded MakeMKV and am completely new to DVD ripping, my objective is to copy my DVD (Movies mainly) onto a NAS to play around home and put my DVDs into store. I cannot find software which works on most DVDs and especially Blu-Ray. I don't want to spend ages becoming expert in the technology and Make MKV looks better than the commercial programs which either cant get round protection or don't even go there.

I've just downloaded onto a Windows 7 (64 bit ) PC, and tried my "trial" DVD "Remember Me" I get:

MakeMKV v1.7.2 win(x64-release) started
Automatic checking for updates is enabled, you may disable it in preferences if you don't want MakeMKV to contact web server.
Using direct disc access mode
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #0 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #1 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #11 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #12 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #13 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #16 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #17 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #18 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #19 does not match one in IFO header.
Title #2 has length of 15 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #3 has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #4 has length of 102 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #5 has length of 108 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #6 has length of 56 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #7 has length of 102 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
CellWalk algorithm failed (structure protection is too tough?), trying CellTrim algorithm
Cells 1-8 were removed from title start
Cells 29-29 were removed from title end
Title #44 was added (20 cell(s), 1:47:32)
Title #98 was added (1 cell(s), 0:13:55)
Operation successfully completed
Saving 2 titles into directory D:/Movies
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_15_1.VOB' at offset '5603538944'
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_15_1.VOB' at offset '5603538944'
Failed to save title 0 to file D:/Movies/title00.mkv
1 titles saved, 1 failed

I end up with a 508Mb file on my Hard drive (title01.mkv) which seems to be a feature with clips and interviews.
As far as I can see I have no "logging" set (used default settings)
Is this likely to be a usual result and is there anything I can do, or should I look for different software - grateful for some good advice!

mbryanr

Re: First attempt to rip a DVD to Disk - failure!

Post by mbryanr » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:53 pm

Similar error...
mike admin wrote:
002003:0000 Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occured while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_10_1.VOB' at offset '282888192'
This looks like a damaged disc.

tobermoryboy

Post by tobermoryboy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:34 am

Well Disk plays fine in 3 different PC Players and the first stage of makeMKV Appeared to copy it without problem it was only on the second stage writing (then it looked to complete before reporting failure) I am wondering if it is to do with writing tthe file to disk that is the problem?

what does line:
"Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_15_1.VOB' at offset"
mean? (it is repeated, does this mean it tried again with the same error?, how many tries will it make?)

I have now installed makeMKV on a second PC and this seems to have made a copy of two files, one being the Movie, and the other the feature (interviews etc.) This looks like what I am after, BUT it seems to always display a lot of errors, which is disconcerting to an amateur who has no idea what they mean!

Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:32 am

Playback and ripping are not the same things. Ripping a disc is much more sensitive to any flaws in a disc or a drive.

If you see errors on one computer, but not on another, then chances are that the drive in the first computer is dying.

If you see errors on every computer, then the media may be bad. To note - Just because you don't see anything wrong with the disc does not mean that there is nothing wrong with it, when it is examined by the computer.

SC

tobermoryboy

Post by tobermoryboy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:58 pm

Several Points here:
The Drive I used initially is new! (when I started trying to rip my previous drive expired!)

MakeMKV has now ripped "Remember Me" on two machines without problem, and we have also done a copy of the Disk using other software (VOB files etc) - so not a disk problem methinks.

I have installed MakeMKV on my Home PC (the one I'm connecting to the NAS) and started trying to copy Blu-Ray DVDs, mixed issues here BUT it has done some (I'll do another post about this)

Meanwhile the initial PC has just done 3 Die Hard DVDs, The Bounty Hunter & Johnny English (took 2 attempts). BUT it falls over on "UP" (Pixar/Disney) does some files but not the Filmtrack - I saw somewhere that Disney was difficult- I took that to mean like Bambi & suchlike, anyone any thoughts on this?

All-in-all makeMKV is working for me (whilst I'm writing this its copying "INDINANA_JONES_RAIDERS_GERMAN" - not quite as titled on the movie so I hope I get the English track), it seems if it falls over, try again & then try a different PC.

Blu-Ray remains a work in progress I intend to report back!

Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:22 pm

I've had new drives that were defective, so I still wouldn't rule out a drive error based on it's age.

Disney is Disney. The age of the movie is not relevant to the vendor trying to screw it's patrons.

I'm almost wondering if you might have some sort of driver issue. Perhaps checking on the drivers that are associated with the drive, and deleting all of them, then reinstalling the MS driver might be a way to go?

SC