Where to buy Bluray discs? I've been getting a lot of fakes from Amazon

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
bonniehendrick

Where to buy Bluray discs? I've been getting a lot of fakes from Amazon

Post by bonniehendrick » Thu May 30, 2024 4:37 am

Hello, I'm trying to start practicing cold-storage of a few TB, need proper HTL but I've gotten a couple bad batches from amazon. Where else can I buy quality discs?

dcoke22

Re: Where to buy Bluray discs? I've been getting a lot of fakes from Amazon

Post by dcoke22 » Thu May 30, 2024 10:06 pm

Burning data to optical discs, presumably M-DISC, isn't a very popular topic of discussion here. I presume DataHorder on Reddit has an active discussion on the topic.

Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 » Thu May 30, 2024 11:28 pm

And optical discs are not a very reliable medium for long-term data storage, relatively speaking.

The discs themselves degrade over time, plus, it only takes one little scuff mark and an entire disc worth of data may be corrupted (if you had, say, one giant file per disc).

To my way of thinking, you'd be far better off to buy one of those SATA hard drive "docks" for your PC and store all your data on removable HDDs.

Since the drive will only be spun up, written, then removed and put into storage, you shouldn't have any problem using the cheaper end of the HDD market?

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock » Fri May 31, 2024 12:52 am

There has also been talk on a number of sites, including here, about how the original burnable Bluray disks you could buy USED TO all come from Japan... but more recent ones (from the same manufacturer) come from China and other sources now, and reliability has been going DOWN on them.

How much of that is the drives? Could be a lot of it, but not all of it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging

Coopervid

Post by Coopervid » Fri May 31, 2024 11:02 am

Woodstock wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 12:52 am
There has also been talk on a number of sites, including here, about how the original burnable Bluray disks you could buy USED TO all come from Japan... but more recent ones (from the same manufacturer) come from China and other sources now, and reliability has been going DOWN on them.

How much of that is the drives? Could be a lot of it, but not all of it.
Yeah. The last good ones came from Verbatim Japan but the manufacturing equipment was now transferred to Taiwan and since then the quality has gone south. Ritek / Ridata are still quite OK. And the burner matters as well. LG / ASUS is bad. Use a Pioneer if you still want to burn. But as recommended above this is expensive, the discs degrade over time etc. I switched to hard drive storage only quite some time ago.