Trouble With Ripping Region 2 DVD

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
bigshot

Trouble With Ripping Region 2 DVD

Post by bigshot »

Equipment: iMac Region A blu-ray burner.

I was trying to read a disk from Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected box set and MakeMKV gave me a message saying "Comlex Multiplex" and "Disk does not match player region". When it finally came up, it only one of the titles was listed (out of three episodes). That one episode ripped OK, but there was no way to get at the others. I tried to rip the disk with RipIt and Handbrake too, and although they were able to see all the title sets, most of the resulting rips were scrambled.

I took a chance and ordered a region free DVD-ROM drive and set it for region 2 and MakeMKV is ripping it like a champ now. Hope this helps.
Woodstock

Re: Trouble With Ripping Region 2 DVD

Post by Woodstock »

The ability to rip out-of-region disks varies with the drive. My LG BD and the Samsung DVD drives all rip out-of-region disks just fine. In fact, for the DVD drives, they don't HAVE a region set yet. I've ripped Blake's 7 (R2 DVD) and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Region B) successfully on the LG drives.

Some others refuse to work, at least without a firmware change. Thankfully, I haven't bought any of those drives.