Makemkv runs, but doesn't save file

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
homeuser

Makemkv runs, but doesn't save file

Post by homeuser »

I'm trying to rip a movie, and the program gets all the way through, but doesn't save the file. it says:
0 titles saved, 1 failed

Further up, there's an error:
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #1 does not match one in IFO header.

How can this be fixed?
setarip_old

Re: Makemkv runs, but doesn't save file

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

What is the title and region of your original, commercial DVD?

Try the following:

1) Clean your DVD

2) Examine for scratches

3) Shut down and the coldboot your system

5) Start MakeMKV and turn on "Debug mode"

4) Use only MakeMKV (No other programs running, such as AnyDVDHD or DVDFab) to rip your commercial DVD

If unsuccessful, submit the "Debug log"

homeuser

Post by homeuser »

i don't have the original dvd anymore. The files were created by just copying the video_ts files and stuff directly off the dvd, so that's all I have. As far as I know, it's a normal USA dvd.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

As I said in response to your other post:
Then it's inappropriate to post a question about it at the MakeMKV Forums...

homeuser

Post by homeuser »

question about anydvd:
I keep reading here to disable anydvd before using makemkv. Why is that? Does makemkv do what anydvd can do? To be honest, I'm not too clear on the distinctions of each program. Do i even need anydvd if i'm going to use makemkv? as far as I'm concerned, if makemkv can convert a dvd to an mkv file without the need for anydvd, what's the point of even having it? I always thought they would work together. For example, if makemkv couldn't rip a disc, i could first rip it with anydvd and use the image in makemkv for the mkv conversion. What would be the problem with that?
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

homeuser wrote:I keep reading here to disable anydvd before using makemkv. Why is that?
Because it is unnecessary to have AnyDVD running, MakeMKV can remove all the encryption by itself. By running AnyDVD you may introduce problems during ripping with MakeMKV that wouldn't exist otherwise.
homeuser wrote:Does makemkv do what anydvd can do? To be honest, I'm not too clear on the distinctions of each program.
AnyDVD is a driver that sits between the DVD/BR drive and Windows. When you put a disc in the drive it analyses it and removes any copy protection, then presents Windows with an unencrypted version of the disc. This is done "on-the-fly" (without ripping the disc).
homeuser wrote:Do i even need anydvd if i'm going to use makemkv?
No.
homeuser wrote:if makemkv can convert a dvd to an mkv file without the need for anydvd, what's the point of even having it?
AnyDVD is older than MakeMKV. Lots of people already have it installed and running. There is no point having it if you're going to use MakeMKV.
homeuser wrote:I always thought they would work together.
By running AnyDVD you may introduce problems during ripping with MakeMKV that wouldn't exist otherwise.
homeuser wrote:i could first rip it with anydvd and use the image in makemkv for the mkv conversion. What would be the problem with that?[
Ripping to an ISO with AnyDVD is the same as running MakeMKV on the original disc with AnyDVD running in the background. By ripping with AnyDVD first you may introduce problems during ripping with MakeMKV that wouldn't exist otherwise.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
homeuser

Post by homeuser »

Thanks crowfax! That was a very helpful response.

Man! I just bought anydvd lifetime in preparation for my project to convert all my dvd's this year. But I'm glad to know that Makemkv is so capable. That's pretty big news, in my opinion! If makemkv can make anydvd irrelevant in some ways, I think that means the program can become very popular. So the developer should be very encouraged by that. That's cool news.

I really like this program. It's such a nice change from all the other video ripping tools with the command line +gui interfaces, and the amount of fiddling it takes to get them to work. This is a great, one button solution.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

I'd say I use MakeMKV for 95% of my movie ripping. The rips created by MakeMKV from both DVD and BR work flawlessly on my WD TV Live (aside from BR subtitles which need a quick tweak after ripping) so I don't really use any other programs for myself any more. I purchased a licence for MakeMKV within about an hour of testing it and finding it covered basically all my needs.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox