Cannot make MKV files from decrypted DVD images

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
solrac42

Cannot make MKV files from decrypted DVD images

Post by solrac42 »

I have used DVDdecrypter to make image iso files from my Stargate Atlantis DVDs so that I can put all the episodes onto a hard drive, but MakeMKV 1.8.5 cannot make MKV files from these images.

MakeMKV could not rip season two and above, only season one could be ripped.

I loaded the DVD images into DVDFabs Virtual drive and they work perfectly.

I would have thought that MakeMKV could do this easily since the discs have already been fully decrypted, but MakeMKV log says structure protection too tough and fails, is this a bug or a limitation.
Still Above Ground ...
Woodstock

Re: Cannot make MKV files from decrypted DVD images

Post by Woodstock »

Two main options - re-rip the disks directly (the decryption process may have corrupted things MakeMKV needs, and MakeMKV has no problem with the Stargate franchise disks), or use Handbrake to process the ISO files into either MP4 or MKV files with better compression.

The advantage of the ISO files is that you maintain all the menus and bonus features. Converting to MKV files tosses a lot of that out, so going ahead and converting the MPEG2 video to h.264 makes a lot of sense.
solrac42

Post by solrac42 »

Hi Woodstock,

Thank you for your reply.

I had already tried ripping the discs directly with MakeMKV 1.8.5 and it worked fine for season one, but no success with season two and above of Stargate Atlantis, which is why I used DVDdecrypter to make the iso image files.

BTW DVDdecrypter maintains all menus and files correctly, the menus, episodes and bonus files all worked as expected, I just could not get MakeMKV to create MKV files from those images.

Thanks again.
Still Above Ground ...
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Program fails to open a disc or crashes, what should I do?

/faq/item/8
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

As Crowfax says, logs will help.

I personally know that the original Stargate Atlantis disks for all seasons are MakeMKV readable, and have been for many versions, but there have been several re-issues since I bought mine.
solrac42

Post by solrac42 »

That must be true Woodstock, I have the French version box of Stargate Atlantis with English discs which I bought from eBay, I definately could not decrypt season two and above with MakeMKV 1.8.5 so I used DVDdecrypter instead.
Still Above Ground ...