Problem with MKV created from DVD

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
calibra

Problem with MKV created from DVD

Post by calibra »

This is my first attempt at creating an MKV file from a DVD. It went surprisingly fast and the procedure and dashboard layout was excellent. I put the MKV file on a USB pen to play on my Sony Bluray player. However I received the message file type unsupported.

I know I can play MKV on this player as I have many many movies in MKV format which play brilliantly in very high quality. Although I have tried several dvd to MKV converters, again with no success on my Bluray player

Is it possible that MakeMKV has created an MKV file that is slightly incompatable with the MKV standard or is it something to do with my player or MakeMKV settings

Thanks

Calibra

PS Found this on a site reviewing MakeMKV
MakeMKV is a free download for all operating systems. DVD ripping will always be free, but Blu-Ray ripping is only free as long as it's in beta, after which it will go to a to-be-determined price, so get ripping now!

So is this true that DVD ripping will always be free ??? I downloaded version 1.6 to see if my issues still remained, but was told to download new version or enter key ( paid for I assume)
Thanks again

Calibra
setarip_old

Re: Problem with MKV created from DVD

Post by setarip_old »

From the MakeMKV homepage:
Functionality to open DVD discs is free and will always stay free.

calibra

Post by calibra »

I have downloaded v1.6 but it keeps saying I need to enter a serial or download the latest copy.

When I click on ok it closes.

Also need to know answers to my other question

Thanks
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I have downloaded v1.6 but it keeps saying I need to enter a serial or download the latest copy.
The most recent (and still active) version is 1.7.0...

nickorossa

Post by nickorossa »

calibra wrote:This is my first attempt at creating an MKV file from a DVD. It went surprisingly fast and the procedure and dashboard layout was excellent. I put the MKV file on a USB pen to play on my Sony Bluray player. However I received the message file type unsupported.

I know I can play MKV on this player as I have many many movies in MKV format which play brilliantly in very high quality. Although I have tried several dvd to MKV converters, again with no success on my Bluray player
If you find an answer can you post it as I may have the same issue with my player.
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4449

Thanks.

Nick.
Tolken

Post by Tolken »

You didn't give the exact model of your Sony player, but here is your likely problem.

MKV is NOT A CODEC (like Mpeg1,2,4 or Divx) it is a container format and can have MANY possible codecs used.

Your Sony player likely only has LIMITED MKV support, in that it only supports some of the possible codecs MKV could use.
Since we are talking about an MKV created via MakeMKV with a DVD source we are talking about MPEG2 MKVs.

Sooooo, your player likely does not support MPEG2 MKVs (check your user manual)
Solution!: Use a program (*like handbrake) to re-encode your MKV video into a supported codec for your player.
calibra

Post by calibra »

Thanks

That make sense....will see what Sony say about that.

Couldn`t makeMKV have options to allow for different codecs, it`s such a fast and easy program to use.

Calibra
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

calibra wrote:Couldn`t makeMKV have options to allow for different codecs, it`s such a fast and easy program to use.
MakeMKV is fast because it does not re-encode.
Resonam

Post by Resonam »

[quote="calibra"]This is my first attempt at creating an MKV file from a DVD. It went surprisingly fast and the procedure and dashboard layout was excellent. I put the MKV file on a USB pen to play on my Sony Bluray player. However I received the message file type unsupported.

Is it possible that MakeMKV has created an MKV file that is slightly incompatable with the MKV standard or is it something to do with my player or MakeMKV settings

Thanks

Calibra

My LGBD560 player has the same problem.
Try remuxing your MakeMkv file made from DVD by using tsMuxer ( freeware ).
It works for me.

Hope this helps.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Resonam

Hi!
Try remuxing your MakeMkv file made from DVD by using tsMuxer ( freeware ).
It works for me.
As far as I know, "tsMuxeR" can only mux to .TS, .M2TS, Blu-ray compliant .M2TS, and AVCHD compliant .M2TS - and does not/cannot create an .MKV container...
Resonam

Post by Resonam »

Hi,

Right. Sorry for not making this clear.The converted file indeed is a m2ts one; presumably, your blu ray player, like mine, is also capable of handling this format, no?
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Resonam
Right. Sorry for not making this clear.The converted file indeed is a m2ts one; presumably, your blu ray player, like mine, is also capable of handling this format, no?
Yes, they can, as well as several other formats/containers, but that's irrelevant.

This is a forum for beta testing MakeMKV...
calibra

Post by calibra »

Just finally had a reply from SONY.

I am told that it will play MKV files so lang as the codec is MPEG4 - AVC and 1920 X 1080

Does this make sense ???

I assume MAKEMKV does not produce such an MKV file or it would play in my Sony palyer.

What are my options.....would really like to stick with MAKEMKV

Thanks
nickorossa

Post by nickorossa »

Hi

As per a previous post, try running your MKV through tsMixeR to create an m2ts file. That solved my issue and they play perfectly.

Sony have probably done the same as Samsung and only implemented limited codec support in the MKV container.

Nick.