Deadpool 1 DVD

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Someguy630

Deadpool 1 DVD

Post by Someguy630 »

I'm trying to rip the Deadpool 1 DVD and all it finds are the extras. It can't see that movie itself. It has a digital download card in the front. I bought it used off Ebay so of course it's been used.

I tried all the different types of protections but none of them finds the movie. Is there a way around this one?

Thanks
dcoke22

Re: Deadpool 1 DVD

Post by dcoke22 »

If the different opening modes don't help, you might be able to use manual mode to rip the movie.
Someguy630

Post by Someguy630 »

Manual mode isn't exactly user friendly. I've tried to piece together how to use it from forum posts and got... Somewhere. I've got this far. I'm assuming the movie is probably in the 1 GB to 10GB section. However I can't open them from this window, They're all greyed out.

How do i access them?

The image isn't showing up in preview so if it doesn't it can be found here: https://ibb.co/Kydfm94
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

You should select the .ifo file, which is probably the only one that isn't greyed out. MakeMKV will read the disc for a moment and you should end up at the DVD Manual Mode screen.

https://imgur.com/nOnKh9F
Someguy630

Post by Someguy630 »

OK so here's where I am now... I opened the ifo file and the following windows popped up.

I chose no from the first dialog box and then second one popped up. I'm guessing the blue highlighted title is the movie I'm looking for.

I'm really not sure I'm getting what to enter in the field though. As you can see from the bottom log I chose 1:1-29. I think the problem is highlighted in yellow. Title skipped due to navigational error.

What exactly does that mean and is there anything that can be done about it?

The image tag doesn't seem to be working for me again, https://ibb.co/Sr8m0dg
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I would guess you would want to answer 'yes' to the first dialog box. If you do that, do you get a different result? MakeMKV has to try to interpret the navigational stuff on a DVD to try to figure out which parts of the DVD belong to which title. Sometimes studios intentionally put errors in this structure to make it harder to try to copy the disc.

While I'm aware of MakeMKV's manual mode, I have rarely needed to use it. I am definitely not the world's foremost expert on ripping difficult DVDs.

As a side note, from my point of view, even though DVDs are older and presumably simpler compared to blu-rays, it seems like the specification for DVDs is less well defined than blu-rays. The structure of DVDs is sort of the wild west, with studios trying all kinds of weird things to make DVDs hard to copy since the copy protection on DVDs is so weak. The specification for a blu-ray is more concrete and there seems to be less weirdness on blu-rays compared to DVDs in my experience. Consequently, I strongly prefer blu-rays for my collection.