MakeMKV fails to convert DVD, but how did I do this??

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Ronstang

MakeMKV fails to convert DVD, but how did I do this??

Post by Ronstang »

I have a DVD that MakeMKV would look like it worked but then said all 3 files failed. There are 3 movies on this disk. I was able to get the DVD copied to the hard drive and I have a VIDEO_TS folder with the contents. I tried to use MakeMKV on the files from the hard drive and it failed. I tried DVD Shrink and it failed. Basically every program I could think of to use failed. At this point I don't even remember how I got the VIDEO_TS folder on the hard drive as it's been so long I gave up.

But I just did the craziest thing. I wanted this DVD on my system and I looked at the folder and the VOB files have a VLC icon and they play. So I tried "Open With" to see what I could open the VOB files with to experiment because I am bored. I noticed AVIdemux would open them so I tried it on the first VOB file of one of the movies. It said there were sequential files do I want to open them all and I did. Now I have he movie in AVIdemux so I saved it as a TS file and BOOM...there it is, the full DVD movie along with the subtitles which I extracted for used in emby.

I did this with all three movies, how and what did I do here? This is crazy. Is this an alternate way to do what MakeMKV does without being able to choose what you actually pull off the disc? Well, you can select individual sets of VOBs so you can get what you want in a round about way.

Can someone way more knowledgeable than me explain this?
Ronstang

Re: MakeMKV fails to convert DVD, but how did I do this??

Post by Ronstang »

Really? No one can tell me what I did....because it looks like if you want just the movie you don't even need MakeMKV but I don't see how. I guess I will have to try and recreate it with another disc to see what happens.

But...MakeMKV would not under any circumstances after many tries make a copy of this DVD, I did it solely with built in Windows stuff and a free utility that took mere seconds to create the MKV file once the DVD files were on the HD. No DRM either. Totally bypassed it obviously or VLC was acting as the gateway. That is why I want to test it again to make sure this was not an anomoly.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

It would be interesting to see MakeMKV's output from trying to rip the disc in question.

I don't have any experience with AVIdemux or DVD Shrink so there's not much I can say about they did or didn't work.

3 movies on a single DVD seems like a lot. I don't think I've encountered a disc like that before.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Have you tried different DVD Opening Modes? viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28541

Does creating an ISO of the DVD with MakeMKV work?