Error Ripping DVDs - Source File is Corrupt or Invalid...

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
gregory.opera

Error Ripping DVDs - Source File is Corrupt or Invalid...

Post by gregory.opera »

When I try to "rip" DVDs, I am given an error message that says something to the effect of:

Code: Select all

The source file '/VIDEO_TS_/VTS_14_1.VOB' is corrupt or invalid at offset 16384, attempting to work around
Sometimes I see a SCSI error message; but now that I have started actually looking into these issues / trying to pinpoint the specific fault, I am not seeing this error anymore.

As a part of my fault-finding, I have tried "ripping" discs under both Apple macOS and Linux-based operating systems, with the same or a similar issue.

An alternate cable with my externally-powered optical drive was tried, but it made no change to the issues.

I thought that perhaps the issue might be to do with my optical drive being faulty (it's an old optical drive that has been used heavily for "ripping" discs) or region-coding, as my optical drive is region-free; but after I bought a new optical drive and set its Region Code to 1, I am still seeing similar errors to that shown above.

Furthermore, I thought I remembered this happening with Blu-Ray Discs as well; but now that I have been fault-finding / trying to pinpoint the specific fault in an attempt to resolve this, the issue appears to be restricted to DVDs, so my recollection might be incorrect... As noted above, I also thought that the Region Code might have something to do with the errors, but when I bought a new optical drive and set its Region Code to America (Region 1), I still had the same or similar issues.

Curiously, the affected discs playback without issue when using the same optical drives and macOS' built-in DVD player; some (those that are set to Region 4 for Australia) have also been tested as working without issue on my Sony PlayStation 5 Pro.

Therefore, the issue appears to be related to my purchased copy of MakeMKV, rather than hardware or other software.

The few DVDs I have purchased are pretty obscure, so any help resolving these issues would be appreciated.
Nefarsis

Re: Error Ripping DVDs - Source File is Corrupt or Invalid...

Post by Nefarsis »

this kind of sounds like an issue i have been having with my discs. discs will play fine, look brand new, but give errors of all sorts. i believe even seeing this or similar error and the scsi error too.

my thread on the subject is this one. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34972

i have found that my dvd's have extra cells that are blocking a normal rip to happen. i have to go in manual mode and select the parts i can from the episodes and piece them together to get it to rip. i start with a back up of the disc to my hard drive then go into manual mode trying different combinations from there to get them to pull correctly and rip.

thank you.
I love most all things Anime. The more i can watch it the better i feel. also repair everything. no need to buy new. why throw it away unless it is completely useless but most things are not.