New to MakeMKV and running into a very bizarre series of errors.

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
volantredx

New to MakeMKV and running into a very bizarre series of errors.

#1 Post by volantredx » Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:13 am

Hey I'm not sure even where to start with this. So I have got a new NAS set up and figured I turn it into a media server. I got a new Blueray player and was planning on ripping DVDs and Bluerays. I don't have UHD disks so I didn't bother with flashing it or anything. It's a LG WP50NB40 but I'm not sure that's going to matter here. So I ran a few DVDs into MKVs. Everything went great after I set up the Docker container, which took some time, but this morning all a sudden I couldn't get any DVDs to rip.

I kept getting a few different lethal errors. The most common was an error that said Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB and the disk refused to even let me pick the data. Sometimes I could get to that point but the disk would end the entire process by saying "0 Files Saved" and not outputting anything. It was multiple different DVDs. I figured since many of them have been poorly stored the last few years it might just be disk damage even though the other disks worked the other night.

So I grabbed a Blueray and a DVD that were both fairly new and inside their original cases (most of my DVDs are stored in a DVD holder). The Blueray converted with zero issue, so I figured it was all disk damage. Until I tried the DVD and got the exact same error message and failed conversion.

I no longer know what to do. I've swapped disks, I've changed from the Docker image to the TrueNAS scale app, to the Windows version and literally nothing fixes these issues. I have scoured the internet for troubleshooting tips and tried everything I could think of. I've cleaned the disks with alcohol and hot water. I've tried multiple disks both new and old. I've set the DVD protections to CellTrim. I've tried to store them as iso backups. I've run MakeMKV as administrator. The only thing I haven't done is flash the firmware because that doesn't seem to be related and these aren't UHD disks. If nothing was getting read I'd just assume it was a fault with the hardware, but it can rip bluerays and has at least one DVD it can easily rip no issues. I'm at a total loss and the only other solution is to buy a second drive just to rip DVDs and keep the other for Bluerays but before I go and do that I was hoping that there might be something I missed or something anyone here might suggest.

dcoke22

Re: New to MakeMKV and running into a very bizarre series of errors.

#2 Post by dcoke22 » Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:31 pm

Are you using your drive and MakeMKV on your TrueNAS box?

What happens if you plug your LG WP50NB40 into a plain Windows (or Mac) box and run MakeMKV there? No VM or anything like that.