Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB (Linux)

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
colonelslanders

Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB (Linux)

Post by colonelslanders » Wed May 22, 2024 3:54 pm

Details:
Version: 1.17.7 (built per the forum's Linux instructions)
Drive: LG WH16NS40, HP GH60L
Disks: Looney Tunes Super Stars (3 disk collection)

Brand new to MakeMKV. Everything I've read makes it sound like ripping DVDs should be a walk in the park if you get a recommended drive, but I've been pulling my hair out trying to get it to work. No matter what I try, MakeMKV fails to read the disk with an error along the lines of: "'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while issuing SCSI command 460200010..00100 to device 'SG:dev_21:1'".

I started in a Fedora 39 VM. I could mount the device (/dev/sr0) and view the files, but copy protection prevented me from copying the files with `cp` or `dd`. I was able to grab an image with `ddrescue`, though its size (273MB) seems low. The SSH session died before the process completed, so it's possible there was an error.
I tried `makemkvcon` (this VM has no desktop environment) but got the SCSI error mentioned above.

Despite the DVD (a disk from Looney Tunes Super Stars) being brand new and proven to work in a DVD player, I thought it could be a disk error, so I tried the other two disks in the Looney Tunes collection with the same result.

Though the drive (WH16NS40) was brand new and could read the disk contents when mounted, I thought it could be faulty, so I tried an old DVD drive I had (HP GH60L) - same result.

I thought that perhaps MakeMKV not being registered could be causing this issue. `makemkvcon reg` didn't work, but I was able to modify the conf file to add the key. No dice.

Next, I thought that there could be an issue in passing the drive through to the VM, so I installed MakeMKV directly on the hypervisor. Again, no change.

Lastly, I wondered if the console tool could have a bug or some quirk that isn't documented, so I created an Ubuntu VM to try the MakeMKV GUI. MakeMKV can see the drive and disk, but the "backup" and "save" buttons are greyed-out. The eject button works, so some level of communication is functioning between MakeMKV and the drive.

My only remaining thought is that it's a combination of a passthrough issue AND needing to use the GUI tool, or that MakeMKV is just buggy on Linux. For the former I'll try to pass the raw device through to the VM; for the latter, I suppose I could hook the drive up to my Windows machine but that would be quite the pain.

In summary, here's a list of everything I've tried:
  • makemkvcon in a Fedora 39 VM with three brand new DVDs, all tested in a DVD player, and two different drives
  • makemkvcon on bare metal in Debian 12
  • makemkv GUI in an Ubuntu 24.04 VM

colonelslanders

Re: Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB (Linux)

Post by colonelslanders » Tue May 28, 2024 3:03 pm

After a bit more research, fulling passing through a disc drive in Proxmox requires the drive to be on a PCIe SATA expansion card or via a USB port. I booted via an Ubuntu live USB so I could use the GUI version of MakeMKV on bare metal, which made it easier to realize that I needed to flash the drive's firmware. After I did that, I got it working in the GUI, and I am now able to use the console version in the Proxmox host (Debian).