Cannot rip episodes 2 and 4 from Breaking Bad box set Season 2

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
cwhimster

Cannot rip episodes 2 and 4 from Breaking Bad box set Season 2

Post by cwhimster »

Hello,

I am trying to rip my new Breaking Bad box set (I live in Germany) to my movie drive, but it keeps skipping episodes 2 and 4. I have tried all the new DVD reading modes (Cell*) as well as Auto. In CellTrim it sees three, but dumps an invalid one, and I only get the same two. What else could I try?
d00zah

Re: Cannot rip episodes 2 and 4 from Breaking Bad box set Season 2

Post by d00zah »

cwhimster wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:11 pm
Hello,

I am trying to rip my new Breaking Bad box set (I live in Germany) to my movie drive, but it keeps skipping episodes 2 and 4. I have tried all the new DVD reading modes (Cell*) as well as Auto. In CellTrim it sees three, but dumps an invalid one, and I only get the same two. What else could I try?
Have you tried 'Manual Mode'?
cwhimster

Post by cwhimster »

Aaah, I thought I was, but your link showed me I was wrong.

I have enabled Expert Mode, and opened the DVD manually. It spat out a bible of errors but popped up a dialog with a list. I chose #2 and am trying that now. Seems to be going okay so far.

Thanks!
cwhimster

Post by cwhimster »

Update:

I was able to copy Episode 2 manually, but Episode 3 failed with the following messages:

Saving 1 titles into directory D:/Video
The source file '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB' is corrupt or invalid at offset 10240, attempting to work around
The source file '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB' is corrupt or invalid at offset 10240, attempting to work around
The source file '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB' is corrupt or invalid at offset 22528, attempting to work around
The source file '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB' is corrupt or invalid at offset 12288, attempting to work around
The source file '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB' is corrupt or invalid at offset 12288, attempting to work around
The source file '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB' is corrupt or invalid at offset 24576, attempting to work around
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB' at offset '9168896'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB' at offset '9168896'
Failed to save title 0 to file D:/Video/Breaking Bad- Season 2- Disc 1_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

Are there more things I can try, or would I be sending the DVDs back to Amazon and buying the individual Season DVDs in the hope that they would be different, and would work?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Clean the disc. Warm water (mild soap, if necessary). Dry w/ lint-free cloth. Yes, even if new & "perfect" to the eye...

Internal/external drive? 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' might indicate under powered drive 'going away' during read, while trying 'real hard'. Just a SWAG...
cwhimster

Post by cwhimster »

I can try, but the DVD is brand new from Amazon today, never played, and my DVD drive has two USB cables, so I am a little sceptical. I will try tomorrow.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"New disks" that are actually from several months after release are more likely to fail because they need cleaned that freshly-released disks. Packaging solvents deposit themselves on the disks from the support structure.

They tend to play OK, because players ignore bad spots that are small. You miss seeing the "skips".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

cwhimster wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:42 pm
I can try, but the DVD is brand new from Amazon today, never played, and my DVD drive has two USB cables, so I am a little sceptical. I will try tomorrow.
Packaging, over time, can deposit a thin film which offends lasers, not eyes.

MB connector block USB ports are generally reliable. Front panel ports are often (thinly) wired to MB headers & may/may not supply sufficient current required to spin a mechanical drive @ speed. The same may apply to laptops. Just something to try.

Edit: Woodstock beat me to it....
cwhimster

Post by cwhimster »

Hello again and sorry for the delay. I read through all the recommendations, moved the USB plugs to the back from the front of my computer, opened the files from DVD, tried all modes, and cleaned the DVD. It still didn't work. I downloaded a low-quality version of that episode from the internet and kept going with the other discs. After a few other discs had successfully run through, I came back to the Season 2 Disc 1 and tried to rip that missing third episode again, and this time it worked.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful tips and for being so friendly to a newbie.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

cwhimster wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:33 pm
After a few other discs had successfully run through, I came back to the Season 2 Disc 1 and tried to rip that missing third episode again, and this time it worked.
By no means deterministic, but such is the way of FM. :D Glad you got it sorted.