Rip fails at "Analyzing seamless segments"

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
solidsnake1298

Rip fails at "Analyzing seamless segments"

Post by solidsnake1298 »

I have having trouble ripping one disc of a series. It fails "Analyzing seamless segments" after I have selected the chapters to rip. The bar will fill up to almost completing then the remaining time will increase until it ultimately fails. I've tried manually selecting different protection schemes, without improvement. I've also tried using my drive's utility to set the mode to a slower (quiet) mode. There are also what appears to be very fine scratches on the disc, but they do not affect playback.

The DVD in question is Gunslinger Girl volume 3 (Funimation 2005).
makemkv_analyzing_seamless_segments.PNG
makemkv_analyzing_seamless_segments.PNG (95.67 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
PXL_20220828_170806972.jpg
PXL_20220828_170806972.jpg (85.27 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
solidsnake1298

Re: Rip fails at "Analyzing seamless segments"

Post by solidsnake1298 »

I tried making an ISO of the DVD with another utility. I mounted the ISO file and then tried again in MakeMKV, but got the same problem. It just failed more quickly when "analyzing seamless segments."
solidsnake1298

Post by solidsnake1298 »

I tried following another user's suggestion, who had a similar issue, and manually set the read bugger size to something other than auto. Tried all buffer sizes, no change. This appears when I set it to debug logging.

DEBUG: Code 0 at TclZatI/;rYptTtHgv#SS:121262233
DEBUG: Code 0 at TclZatI/;rYptTtHgv#SS:121261635
DEBUG: Code 0 at nmu?x+E_4=O-+8/x]NP:213131042
DEBUG: Code 0 at TclZatI/;rYptTtHgv#SS:121262233
DEBUG: Code 0 at TclZatI/;rYptTtHgv#SS:121261635
DEBUG: Code 0 at nmu?x+E_4=O-+8/x]NP:213131042
creator

Post by creator »

Have you found any solution? I am also experiencing this issue with some Funimation DVD sets. MakeMKV successfully completes backups of the disks, but saving the main file fails after loading that backup.
solidsnake1298

Post by solidsnake1298 »

Unfortunately I have turned every nob in makeMKV to no avail. Even ripped the DVD to an ISO and mounted it to a virtual drive. MakeMKV just failed faster.
creator

Post by creator »

Someone on reddit had a similar problem on another Funimation set and they found that disabling commentaries worked. I verified with my Funimation set that it worked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/makemkv/commen ... _segments/
tommyfists

Post by tommyfists »

I was just having a similar issue with another Funimation set, The Tower of Druaga (S.A.V.E.): the main title with all the episodes on it would read and be available at the title selection screen, but once I started the backup it would just keep "Analyzing seamless segments" until it failed out, while successfully backing up all the other titles.

I loaded up the DVD in VLC to take a look at it directly, and noticed there's a weird bit of authoring: all of the episodes on Disc 1 are on title 11, but title 12 also has just Episode 5, because there's a commentary track for that episode. I looked at the audio tracks for title 12, and noticed that even though it was separated out specifically for commentary, it still had the normal English and Japanese tracks. So then when I loaded up title 11 again, I checked its audio tracks: while playing episodes 1-4, it only had English and Japanese, but when it gets to Episode 5, the choice for the audio commentary track appeared. It was still available while playing 6 and 7, or if I skipped back to 1-4 after playing any part of 5, and on the flip side, if I watched any part of 1-4 but skipped over 5 to get to 6-7, the audio commentary track wasn't selectable. At this point, I assumed there was something up with that third track.

So I went back to the title selection screen, unchecked the third track, and managed to get it backed up successfully! My guess is that MakeMKV sees that Track 3 is available for part of Title 11, enables it as an option, but when it tries to analyze it there's literally nothing there for most of the file, so it just keep searching until it fails out.

Not sure if this will be of any use for Gunslinger Girl, since I don't have that one to test myself, but maybe it'll help narrow things down for you?
solidsnake1298

Post by solidsnake1298 »

creator wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:24 pm
Someone on reddit had a similar problem on another Funimation set and they found that disabling commentaries worked. I verified with my Funimation set that it worked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/makemkv/commen ... _segments/
Perfect. Removing the commentary tracks worked! Huzzah! Thanks for the tip!