Subtitles and Output size

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
picasso

Subtitles and Output size

Post by picasso »

Hi,

I have been using makemkv for a while (<30 days) on MacOS 10.6.8 and got two problems: subtitles and file size.

When I rip a disk I always add some subtitles. Sometimes there is only one track, this is shown as "forced" in makemkv (see photo 1 ) . When I play the output mkv with VLC the subtitles are per default on but they may also be disabled. Until here, everything is fine.

As the file is quite big (>9 GB), I use handbrake to shrink it. But I have the impression that handbrake does not really recognize the subtitles (see photo 2). Anyway, after the conversion, the subtitles are gone ...

I tried every option in handbrake (subtitles forced, default, ....), nothing worked.

I also used Mkvtoolnix, without success. The result is even worse: VLC cannot really read the muxed version, it freezes as soon as I scroll within the film.

A solution would be to have an option to limit the output size of makemkv files. Is there anything like this planned ?

Thanks for any help !
Attachments
makemkv
makemkv
p2.jpg (133.81 KiB) Viewed 12775 times
screenshot handbrake
screenshot handbrake
p.jpg (94.1 KiB) Viewed 12776 times
La v?rit? est au fond du vert ...
Woodstock

Re: Subtitles and Output size

Post by Woodstock »

If you are not using a nightly build of Handbrake, it will not recognize PGS subtitles from Bluray disks. The nightly builds will allow you to select one subtitle track to burn into the image, because MP4 files do not support PGS subtitles.

Many viewers have problems with PGS subtitles in MKV files. VLC usually works, but sometimes doesn't.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
picasso

Post by picasso »

Thanks for the quick reply !

Got the latest nightly.
Works, ... sort of ... subtitles are there, but they are HUGE, like font size 30+, and truncated :shock:

Any ideas ?

Thanks !
Attachments
p.jpg
p.jpg (111.72 KiB) Viewed 12766 times
picasso

Post by picasso »

Looks like the film is scaled but not the subtitles, when going from mkv to mkv.

Tried from mkv to mp4: works ! Takes only 4 times longer :(
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

When the destination is an MKV file, the subtitle track CAN be simply copied in to the file, rather than burned into the video; it must be burned in for MP4. Since the subtitle is a transparent image, it could be a problem for some players if it is still at 1920x1080 resolution.

Myself, I cheat - I try to buy stuff as BD/DVD combo packs, and put the DVD VOBSUB titles in with the BD video/audio, and let HB create MP4s with great video and audio, but still having MP4-compatible selectable subtitles.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging