Is there ANY situation where having the 5.1 core can be useful?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Cor3000000323

Is there ANY situation where having the 5.1 core can be useful?

Post by Cor3000000323 »

So I've read about the 5.1 core being extracted from the 7.1 track by MakeMKV. It's sometimes said you can keep it to maximize compatibility. I'm just wondering if there are any real-world experiences where the 7.1 track can't be downsized by your equipment. After all, when playing the film on the blu-ray player, you don't get the 5.1 core choice.

I'm ripping my films "as is", with all audio and subtitles tracks, because hopefully I'll keep these files for my whole life, and I don't know what the future holds, what equipment I'll have, what language will be needed, or who I'll share my media with. Therefore I'm wondering about keeping this 5.1 core track or not.

Any advice?

Thank you.
dcoke22

Re: Is there ANY situation where having the 5.1 core can be useful?

Post by dcoke22 »

If you're trying to maximize your options for the future, keeping the core seems like the obvious choice. It is a relatively small part of the overall file size.

According to RESET_9999's spreadsheet, there are some players that won't work without the lossy core.

If your receiver is too old and doesn't understand the lossless formats, without the lossy core there wouldn't be any audio.
Cor3000000323

Re: Is there ANY situation where having the 5.1 core can be useful?

Post by Cor3000000323 »

Thank you that's great info.