Does this DV workflow work?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Powerkey

Does this DV workflow work?

Post by Powerkey »

I am trying to create a workflow for UHD DV disks and use the hardware accelerated encoder (VideoToolbox).

Can I...
RIP UHD with DV7 -> Extract DV7 to file -> Compress with VideoToolbox (10-bit) -> remux DV7

Also, I would need to convert DV7 to DV8 as well and would like to know the best place to add this step. After RIPing, or at the end.

Is anyone successfully doing this kind of workflow?
Powerkey

Re: Does this DV workflow work?

Post by Powerkey »

In case anyone else is trying to work this out, I pieced together this workflow from various forum posts. It seems to be working well (so far). If anyone sees any errors, or has any suggestions on how to improve it, please post a reply.

Hardware:
- MacStudio M1
- LG UHD R/W (USB3)
- External SSD for all file reads/writes

Software:
- MakeMKV.app v.1.17.6
- Handbrake.app v1.7.3
- MKVToolNix.app v82.0
- MediaInfo.app v24.01
- dovi_tool v2.1.0
- MKVToolNix (command line) v82.0
- DV7toDV8.sh v.0.4.0 - This is a shell script version of speedy's DV7toDV8 script (https://github.com/nekno/DV7toDV8)

1. RIP the movie using MakeMKV. 

2. Use the DV7toDV8.sh script to convert the DV7 movie to DV8.

Code: Select all

./DV7toDV8.sh 

3. Extract the video track and save to a separate file.

mkvextract Movie.mkv tracks 0:Video.hevc

4. Extract the DV8 RPU from the video track.

dovi_tool -c extract-rpu Video.hevc

The -c option is optional, but should be used if you are cropping the file during compression.

5. Compress the original ripped Movie.mkv with Handbrake or ffmpeg using "VideoToolbox 10bit" encoder.
This will strip the DV metadata from the video track, but DV will be injected back into the file later. 

6. Extract the compressed video track and save to a separate file.

mkvextract MovieCompressed.mkv tracks 0:MovieCompressed.hevc

7. Inject the DV8 to the compressed video track.

dovi_tool inject-rpu -i MovieCompressed.hevc --rpu-in RPU.bin -o MovieCompressedDV.hevc

8. Open MKVToolNix (GUI) and add the original MakeMKV ripped movie and the MovieCompressedDV.hevc track (created in step 7). Deselect the original video track so it is not included in the final file. Also, select the MovieCompressedDV.hevc track and specify the same fps as the original ripped movie (usually 24000/1001). This is also a good time to remove any unwanted audio and subtitle tracks (if desired). Enter the desired name and location of the file and process.

Processing times for Gladiator-Extended (171 min run time):

1. MakeMKV - 57 min
2. DV7toDV8 - 15 min
3. mkvextract - 3 min
4. dovi_tool - 2 min
5. Handbrake - 21 min
6. mkvextract - 1 min
7. dovi_tool - 2 min
8. MKVToolNix - 2 min
===================
Total - 103 min processing time