Help with subtitles

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
jliggtts

Help with subtitles

Post by jliggtts »

In makemkv is there an option that automatically converts subtitles from sup format to srt? I realize in a lot of peoples films there subtitles are in srt format for compatibility because most tv sets dont support sup format. Now I know how to manually do this by extracting the sup file, converting with subtitle edit and then remuxing. Just wondering if there's a faster way or this is how everyone else is doing it...thanks for any help.
dcoke22

Re: Help with subtitles

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't think so. MakeMKV is just for getting the bits off the plastic disc and into a file without the DRM. What you do afterwards is up to you.

Personally, my setup can display the PGS subtitles that come off the disc just fine, so I leave them alone.
jliggtts

Post by jliggtts »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:19 pm
I don't think so. MakeMKV is just for getting the bits off the plastic disc and into a file without the DRM. What you do afterwards is up to you.

Personally, my setup can display the PGS subtitles that come off the disc just fine, so I leave them alone.
Appreciate the reply. Some reason Roku media player doesn't support sup files. It has to be a set with the same name as the film.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That is a limitation of a lot of players for automatic inclusion of separate subtitles. Some want the language included in the file name, too.

It is possible to include the subtitles IN the movie, but MakeMKV doesn't do that. Handbrake is one tool that can do that, assuming you also want to shrink (usually) the video at the same time.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jliggtts

Post by jliggtts »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:30 am
That is a limitation of a lot of players for automatic inclusion of separate subtitles. Some want the language included in the file name, too.

It is possible to include the subtitles IN the movie, but MakeMKV doesn't do that. Handbrake is one tool that can do that, assuming you also want to shrink (usually) the video at the same time.
I got it working for my TV just fine by converting to srt and including the file.