MKV for standalone blu-ray player

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
jt5298

MKV for standalone blu-ray player

Post by jt5298 »

I'm new to using Makemkv. What is the process of taking the mkv file to burn to a blu-ray disc to play on a standalone player? I don't want to re-encode the file otherwise what's the point. I want the original uncompressed video and lossless audio. Is there a program that will convert the mkv file to avchd to burn on a disc without loss of quality?

Thanks
Billycar11

Re: MKV for standalone blu-ray player

Post by Billycar11 »

Why do you want it on discs on an official blu-ray player.
Just write it to a hdd and get something like an Nvidia shield you get the full quality and lossless audio without the hassle of burning discs and dealing with the official player protections and limitations
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
jt5298

Post by jt5298 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:45 pm
Why do you want it on discs on an official blu-ray player.
Just write it to a hdd and get something like an Nvidia shield you get the full quality and lossless audio without the hassle of burning discs and dealing with the official player protections and limitations
Well, I have been burning discs for a long time. Started with dvd, then blu-ray and now I found this forum to try and figure out how to flash my LG drive to make it UHD friendly. Thank you for the help, btw. I just prefer having physical media. I've been using another program to rip and burn movies. Until now I have never had any issues with the program. For some reason now I get read errors on multiple discs and I can't figure out why. I downloaded Makemkv to try it out and 2 of the discs ripped with no problem. Not sure what is going on with the other program.

I could do what you suggested and purchase and external hd, and a Nvidia shield and go that route. I have everything in place right now to watch movies on my TV and projector using blu-rays and in the future hopefully UHD's. I would love to purchase this software and use it, but not sure I want to go the route you are suggesting right now. It may come to that if I can't figure this other software program out.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Out of curiosity, what software have you been using?

UHDs are just blu-rays with more data on them. They use the same laser as a blu-ray and have 33 GB layers compared to 25 GB layers on a standard blu-ray. But the disc file structure is the same.

I personally don't burn discs. Being able to dispense with the FBI warnings, forced trailers, and the lunacy of some disc menu systems while retaining the movie and the 'extras' that come with it has made switching away from discs a big improvement in my view.

There are, however, some folks on this forum who seem to know a lot about burning. Hopefully they'll comment here.
jt5298

Post by jt5298 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:00 pm
Out of curiosity, what software have you been using?

UHDs are just blu-rays with more data on them. They use the same laser as a blu-ray and have 33 GB layers compared to 25 GB layers on a standard blu-ray. But the disc file structure is the same.

I personally don't burn discs. Being able to dispense with the FBI warnings, forced trailers, and the lunacy of some disc menu systems while retaining the movie and the 'extras' that come with it has made switching away from discs a big improvement in my view.

There are, however, some folks on this forum who seem to know a lot about burning. Hopefully they'll comment here.
I've been using Dvdfab. Until now it has worked great. Can't get discs to read without errors. Not much support on their forum.

I just rip the movie, no extras, no trailers. Only select the best audio. Put the disc in and it plays from the beginning. Works just the same as Makemkv except it puts it in avchd that can be burned to a disc.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Interesting. AVCHD is a high definition recordable format. The Wikipedia entry makes it seem like the audio is limited Dolby Digital AC-3 5.1 multichannel audio. That would imply no lossless Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio as well as no Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.

I wonder what MediaInfo says about the audio from the output of DVDFab or if you use MakeMKV to rip one of the blu-rays you've burned with DVDFab?
jt5298

Post by jt5298 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:10 pm
Interesting. AVCHD is a high definition recordable format. The Wikipedia entry makes it seem like the audio is limited Dolby Digital AC-3 5.1 multichannel audio. That would imply no lossless Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio as well as no Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.

I wonder what MediaInfo says about the audio from the output of DVDFab or if you use MakeMKV to rip one of the blu-rays you've burned with DVDFab?
It puts it in a avchd, or BDMV folder. The files are m2ts. The audio is lossless. When I play the discs on my HT system it outputs DTS HD Master audio, or Dolby TrueHD, whatever the disc is encoded with.

I use Dvdfab to rip the movies to my hard drive then I use ImgBurn to burn the discs. There is no re-encoding, I rip and burn a 1:1 copy to disc.
Last edited by jt5298 on Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't have any experience with a BDAV folder. Wikipedia calls it "a consumer-oriented Blu-ray video format used for audio/video recording."

MakeMKV can, however, create a decrypted backup of a blu-ray. When you go this route, it makes a BDMV folder. Inside there you'll eventually find the .m2ts files as you would expect.

Having never used ImgBurn, I presume there's a path from a backup to a disc via ImgBurn, but that probably includes the menus and all the other stuff. If you make a .mkv of just the movie with MakeMKV, the internet suggests you can use tsMuxeR to produce a blu-ray ISO from the .mkv. Then ImgBurn would burn that out to disc presumably.
jt5298

Post by jt5298 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:32 pm
I don't have any experience with a BDAV folder. Wikipedia calls it "a consumer-oriented Blu-ray video format used for audio/video recording."

MakeMKV can, however, create a decrypted backup of a blu-ray. When you go this route, it makes a BDMV folder. Inside there you'll eventually find the .m2ts files as you would expect.

Having never used ImgBurn, I presume there's a path from a backup to a disc via ImgBurn, but that probably includes the menus and all the other stuff. If you make a .mkv of just the movie with MakeMKV, the internet suggests you can use tsMuxeR to produce a blu-ray ISO from the .mkv. Then ImgBurn would burn that out to disc presumably.
I edited my post, I meant BDMV folder.
That is very interesting. I didn't realize MakeMKV could create a BDMV folder with m2ts files vs. mkv files. ImgBurn should take the BDMV folder and burn it to disc and it should play on my standalone player. That is how Dvdfab outputs the folder.
tsMuxer can make an ISO from the mkv file, but not sure it can decode the HD audio. (DTS master, DolbyTrue,etc)

What settings do I need to change in MakeMKV for a BDMV folder vs .mkv?

On a side note, not sure if this is the appropriate thread. I flashed my LG WH16NS40 to LG WH16NS60 v. 1.02MK. It was make a grinding noise when I was ripping one of the blu-ray movies I am having issues with Dvdfab. I flashed it to LG WH16NS60 DE 1.00 but then MakeMKV would not read the same disc. Does it have to be v 1.02MK to read the disc? Does flashing it to DE 1.00 help with the grinding noise?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

To make a backup, put in the disc and after MakeMKV sees the disc in the drive, click the second icon from the left on the top row. The one the looks like a green arrow pointing into a folder.
jt5298

Post by jt5298 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:27 pm
To make a backup, put in the disc and after MakeMKV sees the disc in the drive, click the second icon from the left on the top row. The one the looks like a green arrow pointing into a folder.
Thanks, I will give it a try.

Using the backup function am I only able to rip the entire disc or can I select only the main movie and certain audio tracks?

Is there a way to split a movie by chapters?
jt5298

Post by jt5298 »

I think I may have messed up my drive. I uninstalled the drive last night and restarted my computer. I was trying to see if that would help the discs read with Dvdfab. Now I can't get them to read with makemkv. It says it can't recognize the drive. The disc gets stuck in the drive and I have to shut down the pc to get the disc out. I guess the driver it installed is not compatible with the new firmware? Anyway I guess I need help getting it back to working again.
I have v DE 1.00 now on the drive.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

jt5298 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:00 am
I think I may have messed up my drive. I uninstalled the drive last night and restarted my computer. I was trying to see if that would help the discs read with Dvdfab. Now I can't get them to read with makemkv. It says it can't recognize the drive. The disc gets stuck in the drive and I have to shut down the pc to get the disc out. I guess the driver it installed is not compatible with the new firmware? Anyway I guess I need help getting it back to working again.
you dont need a driver for a bluray drive you want the standard Microsoft one
the only other driver you need is you vendor interl/amd or third party sata controller driver and even that is not necessary most of the time on windows 8+ it just has it built in
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
jt5298

Post by jt5298 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:32 am
jt5298 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:00 am
you dont need a driver for a bluray drive you want the standard Microsoft one
the only other driver you need is you vendor interl/amd or third party sata controller driver and even that is not necessary most of the time on windows 8+ it just has it built in
when I uninstalled and reinstalled the burner, that did nothing to effect why it will not read in makemkv now?