Make MKV from already ripped DVD folder on drive?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
todd_jeffries

Make MKV from already ripped DVD folder on drive?

Post by todd_jeffries »

Is there a way to do this? I have over 400 GB of Johnny Carson episodes which I recorded on a stand alone DVD recorder and I've saved them on an external drive for years and now I would like to open each episode's VIDEO_TS folder and save them as a single .mkv per episode. I edited the commercials out already, years ago. They're fine on the external but my goal is to get them onto watchable blu-ray discs, just as data, so an mkv with the episodes in original quality.

Apologies if this has been covered before. I did scroll through a lot of topics and did a couple searches but I'm not even sure what to search for.
bmillham

Re: Make MKV from already ripped DVD folder on drive?

Post by bmillham »

Yes, you can open the VIDEO_TS folder and create mkvs from it.
todd_jeffries

Post by todd_jeffries »

Thanks. I had tried this but for some reason I got errors on the first couple that I tried. It's working now. Not sure what I did wrong before or if I had some weird DVD structures.
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

todd_jeffries wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:03 pm
Thanks. I had tried this but for some reason I got errors on the first couple that I tried. It's working now. Not sure what I did wrong before or if I had some weird DVD structures.
Not all VIDEO_TS structures are created properly. In particular I get lots of 'MactheRipper' warnings on some DVD images that I download, and have had a few that MakeMKV refused to read.