Backup of Encanto contains two of the same movie

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
falconmick

Backup of Encanto contains two of the same movie

Post by falconmick »

Hi everyone!

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I couldnt find it anywhere (maybe I'm using bad words) When I made a backup of my UHD copy of Encanto it had two movie length titles so I backed up both thinking maybe one is a disney singalong but when I watch both they look identical. Also when I look at the file details they are pretty close in size so I really have no idea what's going on here. (title one: 58,705,293,308 bytes title two: 58,705,184,306 bytes)

Cheers
Woodstock

Re: Backup of Encanto contains two of the same movie

Post by Woodstock »

A "backup" would not keep the files separate unless they were separate on the original.

Are you extracting titles to MKV files, or making a backup of the disk?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

What I noticed on several BluRays/UHDs is, that sometimes the main movie exists twice, with (nearly) the same audio tracks, but the second video only has Japanese subtitles. I cannot tell, why they can't put japanese subtitles into the same track with all other subtitles.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Differing video is one of those things they love to do with disks. Usually, they just stuff all the tracks into one video, but that's not a requirement. Disney and related companies will create separate titles that are language-specific, but are 90+% the same, with specific scenes swapped out. Some companies (like GKIDS) will swap subtitle tracks and audio tracks to make "single language" tracks that really are one video track.

What you intend to view in the future can determine what you end up ripping, even though most of it is the same. To do a dual-language version of GKIDS's "When Marie Was There", I ended up combining the English and Japanese versions with another program.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging