Choosing the Correct Video/Audio Track

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
ophedian

Choosing the Correct Video/Audio Track

Post by ophedian »

I am running MakeMKV on my MacBook Pro M1 Max. I have a few discs which show having a LOT of the same Title and I am thinking the disc is NOT even large enough to store that many Titles. However, this makes it difficult to choose the correct feature.

For example for my "Close Encounters Of the Third Kind" Anniversary Edition... MakeMKV is showing so many Titles I am not sure which one to choose.
Normally I would choose the largest one, is this normal??

Is something going on with MakeMKV or Drive? :(

Please see attached image for what I am seeing...
Attachments
Title Selection Screen in MakeMKV
Title Selection Screen in MakeMKV
Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 8.07.25 PM.png (166.79 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
wmcclain

Re: Choosing the Correct Video/Audio Track

Post by wmcclain »

This is a very common situation and often discussed here. See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16791

Do you have java jre installed? That will often sort out the proper playlists.
Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
ArArdin

Re: Choosing the Correct Video/Audio Track

Post by ArArdin »

Note there are three different versions on this anniversary disc. And it's not uncommon for MakeMKV to show every title two times; often the title's playlist is listed as well as the concerning m2ts file(s). Dropping down the listed items will show you more info.
ophedian wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:14 am
I have a few discs which show having a LOT of the same Title and I am thinking the disc is NOT even large enough to store that many Titles.
There's a way of disc authoring called "seamless branching". Where every version is chopped up in smaller m2ts files. In such a way that most of these parts are the same. Obviously these need only one time to reside on disc. Each version has its own playlist, which carries info of which m2ts files must be played consecutively. Your choice of version at the disc menu dictates what playlist will be loaded.