Backup Folder to MKV video

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
MrAshyElbows

Backup Folder to MKV video

Post by MrAshyElbows »

I'm not sure if this where this question belongs or even if I saw the original post here. I'm relatively new to using MKV and came across someone explaining their process for ripping. The individual mentioned they backup the disc using MKV and then at a later date use the backup folder to convert it to MKV. To make an already long story short, I forgot to how to take the backup folder and convert it to video. If anyone can remind me of that process it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Woodstock

Re: Backup Folder to MKV video

Post by Woodstock »

Why would you go BACK and convert the backup to MKV?

You use the backup function when you want stuff that's on the BD or UHD disk, in addition to the movie.

I simply "rip everything over 30 seconds" to MKV files, watch the extras, then toss them, leaving just the movie. If there is something worth looking at later in the "extras", I can leave it on the drive.

To keep space to a minimum, I use handbrake to convert the video to something more reasonable sized. Movies typically shrink 50% of more.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MrAshyElbows

Post by MrAshyElbows »

I’m renting and borrowing the DVD’s so I make a backup so I can quickly return them and get new stuff. I then go back to make MKV’s from the backup folders and then use handbrake to make files smaller. That’s why I’m asking how to convert the folder to a MKV cause I’m not doing that step from jump.
Last edited by MrAshyElbows on Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

On my Mac, here's what I do. In MakeMKV, choose File -> Open Files, find the backup folder and select BDMV from inside the backup folder then choose Open.
MrAshyElbows

Post by MrAshyElbows »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:35 pm
On my Mac, here's what I do. In MakeMKV, choose File -> Open Files, find the backup folder and select BDMV from inside the backup folder then choose Open.
Thank you!