converting dts to dolby

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
mufjem

converting dts to dolby

Post by mufjem »

Have bee using mkv foryears to rip my dvd and blu ray to my HD using my wdtv live to read.
wdtv is on its last leg(not bad for ten yr)
have recently installed emby and have been setting up with that
got new samsung tv the qn55q70a
installed the emby app
found out the when using app on tv it errs on reading file if it has dts. though thin it will work if played from computer and cast to tv. I use the optical output to my av reciever

is there a way to convert the dts to dolby without effecting anything else. or is there a program that will do this when ripping, or best yet is there a setting in my tv that will eliminate this problem

thanks for any help here. have loved this program for years its simple and sweet but need helpon this
dcoke22

Re: converting dts to dolby

Post by dcoke22 »

The e-manual for your TV says on page 139:
The DivX and DTS codecs are not supported by the Samsung TV models released in 2021.
On page 116 in the section titled: Configuring advanced sound settings it explains how to set the digital audio output format to pass-through. If your AV receiver can decode things like DTS and Dolby, this might allow things to work, assuming you're using speakers connected to the receiver and not speakers built into the TV.
clenchdwarf

Post by clenchdwarf »

Get yourself a Live Plus, if you don't have that model already. It adds support for Dolby Digital Plus (hence the name); i got mine from a local used site. It's a crying shame that Western Digital discontinued these. Don't bother with the "Live Streaming" version.

Otherwise... demux the audio with gMKVExtractGUI, convert the audio with eac3to, and mux it back in with MKVToolNixGUI was necessary to deal with Dolby Digital Plus files for my old WDTV Live. I made some batch files to make it easier to use eac3to from the command line.

Or, a bit easier, enable pass-through and use an AVR or sound bar that supports DD/DTS. I've seen AVRs as cheap as $20 at thrift stores, and that was with HDMI and DTS MA/DD TrueHD support. Yes, I should have brought that one home with me; haven't seen another that nice and cheap since.
todd_jeffries

Post by todd_jeffries »

clenchdwarf wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:18 am

Otherwise... demux the audio with gMKVExtractGUI, convert the audio with eac3to, and mux it back in with MKVToolNixGUI was necessary to deal with Dolby Digital Plus files for my old WDTV Live. I made some batch files to make it easier to use eac3to from the command line.
Thanks for this part of your answer, because I was going to ask the same question, but for different reasons. I have some TV episode downloads which someone brilliantly encoded with DD+ and my modern Sony 4K claims to not support it. Since I had already burned them to DVDs I played them in the bedroom on an ancient LG blu-ray player which had no trouble with the audio. But anyway, if I can convert the audio to standard AC3 I'll be reburning discs, this time blu-rays.

But I have one question: Is it really necessary to use gMKVExtractGUI? Can't you just extract only the audio in MKVToolNixGUI by selecting only it and then muxing?
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

clenchdwarf wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:18 am
Don't bother with the "Live Streaming" version.
Actually, if you still want to go with WDTV that's the best version with the most file support and less bugs. Still, I'm also annoyed to no end that Western Digital discontinued the series instead of releasing a new player with Kodi or something. A Raspi or Nvidia Shield with Kodi should do you good.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch