How to fix Atmos Rips mistake?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
sljmkv

How to fix Atmos Rips mistake?

Post by sljmkv »

Through trial and error I have pinpointed my problem to be mkv files with Atmos tracks.

I have ripped my 4K Blu Rays (which I still own) to my NAS for use with a Plex server. Problem is, I tried to save some space by only ripping the main Atmos track (I did not rip the sub audio track(s) or non-Atmos tracks). As such, only my Nvidia Shield Pro plays back these Atmos mkv files. I have several Chromecast with Google TV devices I put in the bedrooms which will not play back these files, nor will my brand new AppleTV 4K (latest version bought last week), nor my 1 Roku based TCL TV.

Other than re-ripping all my discs (including video), what are my options? Is there a way just to re-rip the non-atmos audio track(s) and remux those files into the existing giant mkv files without having to re-rip 30-70 GBs of video tracks too? Or alternatively, is there a way to use my existing .mkv files to extract the atmos track and re-encode as a normal, secondary 7.1, 5.1 true HD, dolby digital or DTS tracks that the Chromecast with GoogleTV, AppleTV, and Roku TV devices can play back?

I have a thunderbolt connection between my NAS and PC, so I think remuxing the audio from the existing MKV files would be the fastest approach if it is possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated...
ArArdin

Re: How to fix Atmos Rips mistake?

Post by ArArdin »

Shana can batch recode Atmos to AC3 for mkv files. However I don't know if it supports reading from and writing to LAN.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/ShanaEncoder
sljmkv

Post by sljmkv »

Thanks for the info. I was able to have the Atmos track re-encoded as a 5.1 FLAC track and my devices can play them. This partially solves my issue, so I am posting this response.

FYI, my MKV rips are uncompressed video and audio from 4K disks.

Using SHANA essentially creates a new MKV file with the previous ATMOS track replaced with the 5.1 FLAC track with the video left as it was.

I am open to other suggestions, but my ultimate goal is to have the FLAC track added as the secondary audio track.

The only way I can think of to do this is to:
1) Use SHANA or StaxRip to do the same type of audio conversion
2) Open the new MKV file in StaxRip, letting StaxRip separate each tracks into their own files in its temp folder (where it makes individual .ac3 or .truehd files separately)
3) Remux the 5.1 track into the original MKV file as the secondary track using mkvtoolkit.

This would keep the original ATMOS and Video tracks intact but it is very manual.

Can anyone think of an easier way of doing this?
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

I have limited experience with the tool, but have you checked out FFmpeg Batch AV Converter ? If you can't achieve your goal in one batch run, two or three would still be better than converting every mkv manually.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffmpeg-batch/