RE-making MKV file

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
BrianDW

RE-making MKV file

Post by BrianDW »

New here, so maybe this is known but I would like to share.

I have been using makemkv in conjunction with Plex for some time now with great success.
Recently when trying to play "Angel Heart" 4K makemkv file (made from a new 4k disc) plex would not play it. I had no issue playing any other 4k makemkv file via the same server.

After going through all the typical troubleshooting steps including re-ripping the 4K disc with makemkv to no avail I did this:

Used the ripped 4K makemkv file to make another makemkv file. I processed the file I made from the disc through make mkv and made a duplicate file.

It played perfectly.

If you ever have problems with a file made from a disc, try "re-makemkving" it.
Woodstock

Re: RE-making MKV file

Post by Woodstock »

Seems your player had a problem with the MKV file, most likely because it specified a default audio track that your player did not like.

When you "re-made" the MKV, did you rearrange the order of the audio tracks? Plex is usually very friendly to audio tracks, but occasionally things won't play to some devices.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BrianDW

Post by BrianDW »

I didn't change a thing. In fact I saved the original file, swapped it back and it (the original) would still not play.
The new file - using the exact same audio track - plays without fault.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

The Angel Heart (1987) entry on blu-ray.com doesn't show anything weird about the title.

If you use MediaInfo to look at your original rip and the re-rip, is there anything different?
BrianDW

Post by BrianDW »

Get this: the "Remade" file is BIGGER. The original - made directly from the disc, is 71.4GB. The copy made from the file is 72.6GB

As an experiment I remade another file. I ran the Cinema Paridso 4k file (made from the disc) through makemkv and the remade file is also bigger. From the disk: 81.7. From the file: 83.0

Also, the remakes have additional audio files. For some reason both remakes show an additional "DTS" audio file not included in the original.

So, somehow remaking the mkvs has increased their size and added audio files.

What the serious f?
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

BrianDW wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:44 pm
For some reason both remakes show an additional "DTS" audio file not included in the original...
...What the serious f?
It is included, my guess. By default, MakeMKV shows and checks the dts core of a DTS-MA track as a second audiotrack. Usually this "dts-only" track is not necessary at all, as DTS-MA is designed to be backwards compatible with legacy dts compliant equipment that is not able to process additional DTS-MA data. In which case only the dts core is read & processed, and the rest of the data will simply be ignored.
Try and uncheck this dts core and see if sizes will match. And if it will play, of course.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I think ArArdin is right. The extra size and audio track is MakeMKV just blindly separating out the core audio track again. If you remake the remake, you'll get a third copy, and so on.
BrianDW

Post by BrianDW »

The added audio track is the issue. By switching audio-tracks I can play the original files made from the disc.
It seems odd that PLEX would default to an incompatible audio track, but at least the problem is solved, the mystery explained.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

BrianDW wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:54 pm
It seems odd that PLEX would default to an incompatible audio track, but at least the problem is solved, the mystery explained.
Partly, I'd say. Why "PLEX would default to an incompatible audio track" still leaves an unanswered question if there'd be something wrong with PLEX, and/or the extra dts-core track. I never use PLEX and the extra dts-core track, so I can't tell.
I wonder how PLEX behaves when you'd create a mkv where you uncheck the DTS-MA track and only check the dts-core track. So, vice versa. I have a quirky hunch it would probably play ok.