DV: Extract FEL from one version and mux it with BL of another?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
huntb3636

DV: Extract FEL from one version and mux it with BL of another?

Post by huntb3636 »

Is it possible to extract the DV FEL from one release and mux it in with the BL of another release? Maybe using txmuxer or dovi_tool? Anything to watch out for other than syncing the time of the sources?

For example, there is an Italian UHD of The Hunger Games which has a large FEL. There is a French UHD of The Hunger Games which has MEL only but a higher bitrate BL. I haven't actually compared the BL quality-wise other than bitrate, but let's assume it is better. I'd like to take FEL from Italian and replace the MEL of French with it, ending up with French BL + Italian FEL (+ US audio).
ArArdin

Re: DV: Extract FEL from one version and mux it with BL of another?

Post by ArArdin »

huntb3636 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:55 am
Is it possible to extract the DV FEL from one release and mux it in with the BL of another release?
Yes. Technically, de/remuxing FEL is possible. But
huntb3636 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:55 am
Anything to watch out for other than syncing the time of the sources?
Well, to me, that is quite some first hurdle you mention. Although being familiar with syncing RPU to BL, I do not know how to sync FEL+RPU to BL.

Long time ago I tried to put together a recoded BL with FEL+RPU. It didn't work. Eventhough all streams came from 1 source disk, MakeMKV showed lots of sync errors. Resulting file playback showed horrible flashings. In the meantime I've also read that BL and FEL require to share the exact same frametype at any point.
Interesting to know if things have improved in the meantime. Maybe somebody has been able to address the issues and could show a proper workflow.

Even if possible, I would check if the grades of both BL are the same. If they aren't, you'll possibly end up with a deteriorated DV display quality, compared to those of any of the native sources.