Dune HD Mediaplayer for DV

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
ameliemopol

Dune HD Mediaplayer for DV

Post by ameliemopol »

My daily driver for playing my disc backups is plex/tvOS Apple TV with the known limitation only P5 DV and no P7 DV. Don't feel like converting files and what else...So for playing mkv's DV Profile 7 Dual Layer (MEL) I am planning to buy a Dune HD REAL Vision 4K and not the SHIELD TV PRO (too many problems with DV).

Is the Dune HD a better choice than the SHIELD?
Is the DUNE HD REAL VISION 4K a good choice or is it better to step up (Max Vision 4K)?
Anyone have experience with the Real Vision 4K and DV playback?
ColonelBlimp043

Re: Dune HD Mediaplayer for DV

Post by ColonelBlimp043 »

I have the Real Vision. It's...fine. The user interface is a step above homebrew. It sucks compared to the AppleTV. Forget about using the bundled remote, which is unresponsive and cheap. The smartphone app is much better for controlling it.

The Dune will, however, bitstream Dolby Atmos, and it will also give you Dolby Vision P7 MEL playback. It also upscales 1080P content marginally better than the AppleTV with Infuse.

Generally speaking, I use the AppleTV unless I'm watching a DV file. Even with DV files, I will sometimes just stick with the AppleTV because the Dune isn't worth the hassle.