Subtitle question

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Lantesh

Subtitle question

Post by Lantesh »

Is it necessary for me to select the last subtitle entry here?

Subtitles CC Text English (Lossy conversion)
Capture.JPG
Is basically just going to create another copy of what already exists in the regular English subtitle selection, or is it somehow different?
Woodstock

Re: Subtitle question

Post by Woodstock »

It's not necessary to select ANY subtitle type, but CC's are often ones you don't need... but are automatically selected when doing DVDs.

MOST of the time, it's not a problem. You can ignore them if you don't want them. But sometimes MakeMKV will spend a lot of time trying to find CC-type titles that aren't really there, and you have to manually disable them to speed things up.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:19 am
It's not necessary to select ANY subtitle type, but CC's are often ones you don't need... but are automatically selected when doing DVDs.

MOST of the time, it's not a problem. You can ignore them if you don't want them. But sometimes MakeMKV will spend a lot of time trying to find CC-type titles that aren't really there, and you have to manually disable them to speed things up.
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately my image attachment doesn't seem to show in my original post. So I'm not sure my question was clear. In my example there was already a selection for English subtitles selected, and then below that there was another entry for "Subtitles CC Text English (Lossy conversion)." I'm not really understanding what the difference between the two is.
wmcclain

Post by wmcclain »

The two types of subtitle were made by different people at different times.

If the graphical subtitles are available then they are generally sufficient and you don't need the CC tracks.

However, CC tracks do have one advantage: they are text-based and the player or display program has more flexibility in scaling them on a hi-res display. The graphical subtitles on DVD are sometimes large and blocky, but CC and other text subtitles can be scaled to be smaller and less obtrusive.
Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

wmcclain wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:58 pm
The two types of subtitle were made by different people at different times.

If the graphical subtitles are available then they are generally sufficient and you don't need the CC tracks.

However, CC tracks do have one advantage: they are text-based and the player or display program has more flexibility in scaling them on a hi-res display. The graphical subtitles on DVD are sometimes large and blocky, but CC and other text subtitles can be scaled to be smaller and less obtrusive.
Oh OK that is great information. Thank you so much. Based on that going forward I will keep both types to keep my options open.