Transfer Dolby Vision from one release to another

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
pukulan10jurus

Transfer Dolby Vision from one release to another

Post by pukulan10jurus »

Hi,

I have 2 versions of the same movie, a Chinese release and a Japanese release. The Chinese one has Dolby Vision, the Japanese hasn't, but has a far higher bitrate. I thought I'd take the best of both to make one "ultimate" remux.

I compared frames, and fortunately the 2 videos are 100% in sync, although the Japanese one has some extra text at the end which can be cut if need be, but before that, all frames are in the exact same places. The Chinese source is very, very slightly more cropped, compared to the Japanese source, but probably only about 1 or 2 pixels. Also, the movie has some noise that is slightly softer on the Chinese source. Click here for a frame comparison: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/23382

MediaInfo of the Chinese source states: Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

Now, how would I go about doing this, and is it safe to do so, with the cropped video and the softer noise, and all? I've got lots of experience encoding/remuxing/whatever, but this is my first time transferring DV content other than just plain remuxing. I'm aware of DoVi tool, just not sure what to do, most tutorials are about converting to another profile, which, I presume, shouldn't be necessary in this case. And again, I wanted to verify here if the noise and miniscule cropping would be a problem.
Coopervid

Re: Transfer Dolby Vision from one release to another

Post by Coopervid »

I would try Tsmuxer for that.
pukulan10jurus

Post by pukulan10jurus »

But how would I transfer the Dolby Vision data? I'm new to handling DV content.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Use Mediainfo. The DV information is in the 1080 resultion track while the video file is the 2160 resolution track.
pukulan10jurus

Post by pukulan10jurus »

I'm asking how to actually transfer the DV data. MediaInfo is just a information tool. It can't produce any files.

I'm new to handling DV content.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

This guide starts with a MKV file. You can skip some steps when you start with m2ts files. Just demux both and assemble the wanted result in TSMuxer.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/guide-t ... -dv.82545/
pukulan10jurus

Post by pukulan10jurus »

Thx a lot! Is MKVToolnix good for muxing the final file, too, or must you use TSMuxer?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I don't know. I am not the author but publisher and translator.
pukulan10jurus

Post by pukulan10jurus »

Guess I'll find out by trying. Any reason the RPU isn't used? Just asking out of curiosity, trying to understand how DV works.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

pukulan10jurus wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:29 pm
Guess I'll find out by trying. Any reason the RPU isn't used? Just asking out of curiosity, trying to understand how DV works.
You might want to read what nekno writes here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602&start=6465

This is a huge thread but with a lot of information. FEL (Full enhancement layer) is used for dual track DoVi (what you want to do). MEL (minimum enhancement layer) is used for single track DoVi like MP4 files.
pukulan10jurus

Post by pukulan10jurus »

I was already aware of said topic, but it was a case where I couldn't see the forrest through the trees lol.

But I think I got it now. Think I'll attempt it tonight.