Time for an update... I think..

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
DJNerd29

Time for an update... I think..

Post by DJNerd29 »

So, I made a back up of Smokey and the Bandit.. BEST FREAKIN MOVIE EVER!!!

Anyhow, the MKV will not play back in VLC player. I added the files, rolled back to 3.0.4, and I am STUCK!

I would love to watch the movie on my 4k monitor, but I'm assuming that's impossible, no?

Help please..

Thanks in advance,

Tech :D
Woodstock

Re: Time for an update... I think..

Post by Woodstock »

Are we talking about a "backup", or MKV files?

VLC should play MKV files with no issue.

For Backups, I just tested using "Open Folder" in the file menu, and selected the BDMV folder for one of my backups, and VLC started playing the "disk".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
DJNerd29

Re: Time for an update... I think..

Post by DJNerd29 »

I'm a huge smokey fan, so I have ur answer....

Any computer not intel Kirby-lake and even worse AMD (loves AMD), will not back up the disk. Usually, I can use Anydvd to copy the movie itself, it keeps on crashing during copy.

I know that if you use DVDfab (trial will work) to rip it, it works, but you need something powerful. I'm trying now on an I7, Ill let you know.

However, to answer you completely. The second layer of the disk has a built in encryption. There is a program called DeUHD that works without question, but you have to pay for a year up front. Sadly, I only want Smokey backed up, so paying $109 for that... not sure if it's worth it. I'm sure in time there will be a hack. In the mean time. I would suggest just watching the Blu-ray for now. That can easily be ripped. You only need to rewrite some firmware on a few specific drives. After that, easy peezy.

Hit me up if you have questions.

I've been at this for 2 weeks. I know almost everything about this darn 4k movie.