Playback MakeMKV backups?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
RyanHcodes

Playback MakeMKV backups?

Post by RyanHcodes »

I've tried searching for this answer and haven't found anything, but perhaps I've overlooked something.
My question is: Is there some way to serve/playback MakeMKV backups as though they were discs?
I know that with VLC on my pc I can open a folder as a disc and see the menu and such, but I would rather be able to view a library of backups on my android tv. Anyone have any info? Thanks in advance!

(also, just piggybacking onto this, but does a MakeMKV backup save the ENTIRE disc contents - as though the folder were the exact same as the disc?)
Billycar11

Re: Playback MakeMKV backups?

Post by Billycar11 »

yes plex

also makemkv can backup the full disc with everything like menus but then that does not work in plex there are other media centers that can use bdmv folders/iso's though
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
RyanHcodes

Post by RyanHcodes »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:48 am
yes plex

also makemkv can backup the full disc with everything like menus but then that does not work in plex there are other media centers that can use bdmv folders/iso's though
Yes the bdmv folders playback is what I'm curious about; do you know of any specific media centers to research?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Doesn't MPC-HC play BDMV folders? I'm a Plex user, so I don't have any experience with it. Plex, however, has provisions to allow you to include the 'extras' that are also on most discs. I've found I much prefer this setup to navigating blu-ray menus.
Jeppo

Post by Jeppo »

Hello RyanHcodes
Kodi can be used to play full bluray backups, including menus. Kodi is available on Android TV.
GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy »

I have similar questions. I'm a total n00b to backing up discs, but just recently bought a wh16ns40 drive and flashed it. I also registered MakeMKV.

I've done about 10 backups of 4k discs, then noticed clicking on the image of the drive in MakeMKV, starts a "Direct Access Mode" backup. I let it complete, then noticed it created about 15 mkv files, and the other 10 backups I did contain folders and various filetypes, with the video being m2ts files. (I've checked the checkbox to decrypt as it backs up).

Can I play either of these formats like I inserted the disc in a player? Any pro's/con's between these 2 file types/backup types? Can either format be burned back to a disc that would play in a normal bluray player (like my Xboxone X)?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

GoodBoy wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:56 pm
Can I play either of these formats like I inserted the disc in a player? Any pro's/con's between these 2 file types/backup types? Can either format be burned back to a disc that would play in a normal bluray player (like my Xboxone X)?
It depends on your goals. Generally speaking, lots of folks like to rip the movies off their discs and put them on something like a Plex server. They then use a Plex client on their TVs, computers and mobile devices to get a clean, organized interface to their library of movies without all the annoyances that come from putting a plastic disc in a player. Some people like the experience of navigating the menus of their blu-rays without having to deal with the plastic discs. There are either specialized hardware players or software solutions for that. Some people like the compress their movies to take up the minimum amount of space as possible. Others want the maximum quality possible and are willing to pay the necessary storage costs.

.m2ts is the 'native' file format on blu-rays. .mkv is a common (and maybe preferred) container for movies in a Plex server (or any of the other similar things, like Jellyfin, or Emby, etc).

As for burning a rip back to blu-ray… it is hard to come up with a reason why. Pretty sure there's a Plex client for an Xbox one. There are probably a dozen ways to play a digital movie file on a game console, or an Apple TV, or Roku, or Google Chromecast, or Fire stick, or 'smart' TV, or network connected plastic disc player.
If you really want the original plastic disc experience, just use your original plastic disc. :)