DV 07.06 MKV remux to BDMV/ISO - best method?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
BadlyDrawnBoy

DV 07.06 MKV remux to BDMV/ISO - best method?

Post by BadlyDrawnBoy »

Hi,

What is the recommended method to convert a DV 07.06 MKV Remux to BDMV or ISO, without any loss?
My purpose is to playback DV remux's in an Oppo clone.

Cheers!
ArArdin

Re: DV 07.06 MKV remux to BDMV/ISO - best method?

Post by ArArdin »

I wouldn't know what the "recommended method" would be. Most important thing is to have knowledge about the structural differences between the containers, their compliant elementary streams and how Dolby Vision is stored differently within each of them.

Of course the main beef would be Dolby Vision video. Mkv holds both layers in one videotrack (singletrack duallayer). In BDMV there are two videotracks, each holding one layer (dualtrack duallayer). For mkv conversion to BDMV this means that the videostream in the mkv has to be demuxed into separate BL and EL streams. Yusesope's tool can do this. When you have these layers separate, you can import them in tsMuxer for DV profile 7 creation. As you are converting from P7 to P7, profile stays the same so RPU editing is not necessary. You can leave it untouched within the EL.

Audio may also need some work. In mkv, Dolby TrueHD (with or without Atmos) holds no embedded AC3 track. (UHD)BD needs a mandatory embedded AC3 track for TrueHD. Eventhough latest tsMuxer is able to mux a single TrueHD track withing BDMV, I would not recommend this. A lot of players will play it just fine. But there are (UHD) bluray players that behave tightly to official specs and will simply refuse TrueHD playback when the embedded AC3 is missing. So, you have to convert TrueHD into "TrueHD+AC3". Eac3to is a tool that can do this.

As for subtitles, BDMV only accepts PGS streams (SUP). Generally, mkv is able to carry much more types and often subtitle conversion is required. Talking about DV 07.06 MKV remux, of course the subtitles would already be in PGS format.

I wouldn't know if there are all-in-one batchfiles that take care of this kind of conversion. I like to do things manually.
BadlyDrawnBoy

Post by BadlyDrawnBoy »

ArArdin wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:09 pm
I wouldn't know what the "recommended method" would be. Most important thing is to have knowledge about the structural differences between the containers, their compliant elementary streams and how Dolby Vision is stored differently within each of them.

Of course the main beef would be Dolby Vision video. Mkv holds both layers in one videotrack (singletrack duallayer). In BDMV there are two videotracks, each holding one layer (dualtrack duallayer). For mkv conversion to BDMV this means that the videostream in the mkv has to be demuxed into separate BL and EL streams. Yusesope's tool can do this. When you have these layers separate, you can import them in tsMuxer for DV profile 7 creation. As you are converting from P7 to P7, profile stays the same so RPU editing is not necessary. You can leave it untouched within the EL.

Audio may also need some work. In mkv, Dolby TrueHD (with or without Atmos) holds no embedded AC3 track. (UHD)BD needs a mandatory embedded AC3 track for TrueHD. Eventhough latest tsMuxer is able to mux a single TrueHD track withing BDMV, I would not recommend this. A lot of players will play it just fine. But there are (UHD) bluray players that behave tightly to official specs and will simply refuse TrueHD playback when the embedded AC3 is missing. So, you have to convert TrueHD into "TrueHD+AC3". Eac3to is a tool that can do this.

As for subtitles, BDMV only accepts PGS streams (SUP). Generally, mkv is able to carry much more types and often subtitle conversion is required. Talking about DV 07.06 MKV remux, of course the subtitles would already be in PGS format.

I wouldn't know if there are all-in-one batchfiles that take care of this kind of conversion. I like to do things manually.
Thanks a lot, that was very enlightening! DV complicated things a lot, it seems!
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

I fully agree. Regarding Dolby Vision, understanding different specs, formats, profiles etc drove me crazy in my early days. Where thinking I got it all covered always lead to disappointment as new issues emerged. These still can surpise me.

Of course DV conversions in a all-in-one GUI would be ideal. I don't know any, neither can I point to a "best" or "recommended" way. Regarding, best thing I can do is try to explain the basic differences in formats and their compliant ways of storing certain content. To my understandings, of course. Which hopefully provides clear insight to make it easy to understand the things that consequently have to be done for the conversion.

Of course other users may also want to give their opinions and recommendations. Hopefully someone knows of a GUI tool that would take care of at least some of the steps needed.