Downmixed from Stereo to Mono

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
UltraIceBear

Downmixed from Stereo to Mono

Post by UltraIceBear »

Tried to rip an anime blu-ray (Angel Cop Remastered) and the English track (LPCM 2.0 Stereo) is downmixed from its stereo sound to mono, though the Japanese track (Same LPCM 2.0 Stereo) remains Stereo. I have used both MakeMKV and Handbrake to try and rip the blu-ray and both yielded the same issue.
Woodstock

Re: Downmixed from Stereo to Mono

Post by Woodstock »

Are you certain the original audio was not "two channel mono"?

I've been searching around, and every site I've looked at that mentioned the audio specs say "English language dub, and the original Japanese audio" without mentioning stereo for either. 1989 wasn't a big time for stereo audio for over-the-air broadcast.

I do know that single-channel LPCM causes problems with some players, so movies that originally had mono sound tracks get a two-channel "mix" (two copies of the same stream).

MakeMKV is normally going to copy the LPCM, whatever it's channel arrangement, through to the MKV, unless you request it to convert to AAC or FLAC. I've had 7.1 LPCM tracks pass right through, unchanged except their packaging.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
UltraIceBear

Re: Downmixed from Stereo to Mono

Post by UltraIceBear »

I've played both languages on my blu-ray player on my TV, and both are confirmed to be true stereo with music and panning sfx.