Makemkv and BD3D2MK3D - Newbie

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Vkleber

Makemkv and BD3D2MK3D - Newbie

Post by Vkleber »

Hi from Berlin, Germany,

I am a complete newbie so sorry for probably naive questions :-)
What I try do is to mux a 3D file from a Blueray iso-image, so I can stream it via HDMI to my TV, which is caoable of 3D. What I learnd is that I can use makemkv for this and BD3D2MK3D.
My first question is why I should use makemkv anyway because in BD3D2MK3D I can load the iso-file directly and convert it to an MKV Side-by-Side 3D Video.mkv . If I use Makemkv I can convert the Iso-File to .mkv. So, is there an advantage to convert with Makemkv first and then use BD3D2MK3D - or can I skip this step?
My second question is about the quality of the MKV Side-by-Side 3D Video.mkv, which I have at last. I was wondering why it is so small? The size is only one tenth od the original ISO-File. So isn`t there a loss of quality? Or ist there a possibilty to have the MKV Side-by-Side 3D Video.mkv in original size?
Sorry if this is too confusing :-)
ArArdin

Re: Makemkv and BD3D2MK3D - Newbie

Post by ArArdin »

Simply put, 3D on blu-ray carries two separate videostreams for left and right eye. MakeMKV will use these streams untouched, so there will be no quality loss.

Major reason for using BD3D2MK3D is recoding 3D video to reduce filesize. There is a difference in Full and Half SBS/T&B. Half is most widely used and supported, but it means that video will loose half of its horizontal or vertical resolution. By definition, loss of pixels is loss of quality. Whether you'll notice - or care - is another matter.
Full SBS/T&B will keep original videoresolution. However, since a videostream with double horizontal (3840x1080) or vertical (1920x2160) resolution will be created, your player must support this type. Frame Sequential will also keep full resolution, but a file with double framerate will be created. Also here, your player has to support it.

BD3D2MK3D provides recoding in x264 and x265, where different quality & bitrate settings are at your disposal. The tool defaults x264 settings to CRF 23, which is said to be acceptable to a lot of people. It's a bit of trial & error to determine what usable 3D modes, codec and settings look good to your eyes.

If you compare resulting filesize to that of the original iso, it is fair to consider that it's common to mux only desired streams in the 3D mkv file. There can be a lot of additional audio- and subtitle tracks in the source which you'd ignore. Often there's also extra footage other than the main program on disc.
Vkleber

Re: Makemkv and BD3D2MK3D - Newbie

Post by Vkleber »

Thanks a lot for your reply! This helped much to get an overview in this rather complicated stuff :-)

Greetings from Berlin Volker